Windows Storage Spaces Performance

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

resolve_freak

Windows Storage Spaces Performance

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 12:41 pm

Hello,

I'm setting up the storage for a colorist that is using v17. He's running Windows 10. He already has the drive chassis with 4 drives but unfortunately he can't do a RAID 5 using the SoftRAID to configure it; only a 0 or 1. Windows Storage Spaces would enable him to have protection against the loss of a drive. My question is, has anyone used it in Windows 10 where your media is on WSS? I'm leery about the performance.

peterjackson

Re: Windows Storage Spaces Performance

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 4:32 pm

It's crap from performance, but much more important reliability perspective. Buy SSDs for the edit workstation and use these drives as backup somewhere with something like Resilio Sync.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

resolve_freak

PostTue Nov 30, 2021 6:34 pm

peterjackson wrote:It's crap from performance, but much more important reliability perspective. Buy SSDs for the edit workstation and use these drives as backup somewhere with something like Resilio Sync.

I appreciate the info. I had a feeling it would be crap. I'll probably go with a QNap 4 bay NAS. He can use that other chassis (thunderbay 8) down the road when he runs out of space on the 24TB NAS.

peterjackson

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 9:00 am

resolve_freak wrote:
peterjackson wrote:It's crap from performance, but much more important reliability perspective. Buy SSDs for the edit workstation and use these drives as backup somewhere with something like Resilio Sync.

I appreciate the info. I had a feeling it would be crap. I'll probably go with a QNap 4 bay NAS. He can use that other chassis (thunderbay 8) down the road when he runs out of space on the 24TB NAS.
I'd do 6 drives Raid 10. Why? Because seek / random IO performance will be tipple and it matters for that workload.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Return to DaVinci Resolve