Using LUA modules in the free version..?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SeldomSeenKid

Using LUA modules in the free version..?

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 10:22 am

Hi All,

I am trying to use a LUA module in the free version of DVR. I use the interactive script loader of course but get the error
"The specified module could not be found"
The module is a x64 DLL and I copied it to every location shown by package.cpath (including APPDATA\Roaming\...).
Funny enough, if I use the x86 version of the DLL, DVR tells me that 32bit modules are not supported, so it actually knows where to look.
Am I missing something here or does the free version not support LUA modules?

I am running DVR 17.4.2 b9 on Windows 10 (up to date)
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
# Threadripper 32 core / 160GB / RTX4000 8GB / WIN10 #
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

SeldomSeenKid

Re: Using LUA modules in the free version..?

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 10:03 pm

Problem solved. From what I understood so far:

- Lua 5.1 is advertised to be 32 bit while DVR is 64 bit.
- My Lua DLL is 64 bit too so it needs a 64 bit runtime environment.
- DVR docs tell you that you need to install Lua 5.1 but this doesn't fix the problem because 5.1 is 32 bit.
- Examining the dependencies of the DLLs made things a bit clearer.

I copied the "Lua.5.1.dll" from the DVR program directory into the same directory as my Lua DLL and renamed it to "Lua51.dll" as shown in the dependencies. Looks like BMD baked their own Lua51 x64 DLL.

Now everything runs just fine.

Maybe I am missing something here but that's the way it works for me. Just started to learn this Lua scripting stuff...
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

roger.magnusson

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 10:14 pm

I haven't used DLL modules much with Resolve but as I recall it worked as expected when I tried. However, the Resolve documentation is incorrect when it says you need to have Lua installed. Resolve and Fusion comes with everything you need, baked in. I think they wrote that part for Python and referenced Lua as well by mistake.

Btw, the distinction might be important in some cases, it's not plain Lua, but LuaJIT. It's faster and has some extra features.

SeldomSeenKid

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 8:18 am

Thanks for the hint!
Maybe my problem simply was caused by the fact that my module DLL was referring to "Lua51.DLL" while the one that came with DVR was named "Lua5.1.dll"...

Return to DaVinci Resolve