Project Server and render output

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

nucelar

Project Server and render output

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 5:12 pm

Hi
I'm having problems with random audio dropouts when rendering. I have a project server on a simple windows 10 machine and 3 Macs from which I'm working: two beefy Hackintosh machines and one M1 Mac Mini.
All 3 machines are on the latest version of DVR 17.
I'm getting these render errors on all three machines, so I'm starting to get suspicious about the server and if its connection to the hosts can maybe affect rendering somehow.
Media is on shared drives on the LAN or on the local machine, it does not matter.

I tried a brute force test of disconnecting the project server during a render, and the render indeed aborted, proof that the server is being accessed constantly.

Any idea if a network malfunction of any kind (network overload, conflicts...) can affect render output? I'm not talking about "works / does not work" but if the quality of the render (dropouts) can be affected by network malfunctions.
Any tests I could do to troubleshoot?
Thanks!

Reynaud Venter

Re: Project Server and render output

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 7:16 pm

Definitely appears to be a bandwidth issue, especially since in the prior thread it was indicated that reducing the render speed improved behaviour and solved the issue.

Place all media on the fastest internal storage volume available prior to delivery and run new passes. Are deliverables passing QC?

What are the specs of the networked volumes?

Have you run tests with Blackmagic Disk Speed?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Igor Riđanović

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 10:36 pm

I'm not saying that a network congestion could affect the renders, but you make a good argument. Try throttling down the render speed to see if it helps.

What kind of a response do you get from the server from a continuous ping while Resolves are in use? 20 ms and higher is a cause for concern in general.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

nucelar

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 10:10 am

Hi thanks for the answers...
Yes, lowering the Render speed to 10 makes the errors disappear but it shouldn't behave that way.
Ping times are consistently below 1ms across the LAN, and transfer speeds can be variable, depending on disk activity and LAN traffic.
Still trying to figure out whats happening...

Reynaud Venter

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 10:25 am

nucelar wrote:Yes, lowering the Render speed to 10 makes the errors disappear but it shouldn't behave that way.
Rendering with all media (video, audio, and caches) on the rendering machine's internal storage does not improve behaviour?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Return to DaVinci Resolve