Versioning/batch renaming sequences efficiently

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

groomedmonkey

Versioning/batch renaming sequences efficiently

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 6:11 pm

How can I "version" my sequences efficiently? Basically I want to have a history of the sequences in my project that are cleanly split between client review cycles. So far I have noticed:

- One can't have two timelines with the same name.
- One can't use metadata to rename sequences with variables like clips.
- One can't batch rename sequences at all.

So if I have 20 timelines that I want to iterate, I have been duplicating them, tagging them with version, and moving the "* copy" sequences to a sub-bin. This works so so as the "* copy", "* copy 1", "* copy 2" in the sequence names is yuck. Note that I have to keep the current timeline without any name change so that I can export files named correctly. I was disappointed not finding any batch renaming features that would make this workflow trivial to accomplish.

Is there a better way to do this?

Andy Mees

Re: Versioning/batch renaming sequences efficiently

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 7:02 pm

I do it manually, it doesn't feel like a massive hardship, just part of the job... that said, I obviously wouldn't mind if there were a better way ... but really, its such a trivial part of the day. Different strokes for different folks tho.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

groomedmonkey

Re: Versioning/batch renaming sequences efficiently

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 8:09 pm

Not a hardship for a few at a time but 20 x 4 iterations gets old pretty quickly. Pity there's no scripting layer that the community could use to solve annoying workflow issues like this. A regex renaming tool would be great.

Return to DaVinci Resolve