Cannot Transform Green Screen Object without Alpha affected

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ShamusBurke69

Cannot Transform Green Screen Object without Alpha affected

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 8:29 pm

I am running into a workflow issue with Da Vinci Resolve Studio. Black Magic does not seem to support workflow.
My issue is that the Green Screen content is somehow linking itself to the Alpha layer and when I am trying to resize the green screen clips with Transform tool it's transforming the Alpha layer as well as though they would be linked yet they are not. It's bazaar since I had done a lot of this workflow prior to updating to the paid version. I basically built the whole video with Green Screen footage throughout and was able to transform the green screen objects and setup automation with movement with zero issues until now. I never had to even go into Fusion to handle this workflow as well.

TCP786

Re: Cannot Transform Green Screen Object without Alpha affec

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 1:38 am

Can you describe your current workflow a little more? When you say "alpha layer" are you referring to a different node in a color page node tree? Or a different clip on the timeline (or within a compound or Fusion clip)?

I'm not sure this is what you mean, but are you saying that the space removed from the original green screen clip changes when you resize the clip, increasing or decreasing the amount of the layer beneath it that is visible? For example, if you have a shot of a person standing in an open doorway with a green screen behind the door, making the clip bigger or smaller would change the size of the transparent area as well as the person. If this is what you mean, this is to be expected, since those alpha pixels are part of the same image that you are resizing. In this case, you would need to create two separate images: one of just the person with alpha on the rest of the entire image, and another with the original image without the person. That way, you can resize the image of just the person without changing the size of the rest of the original image.

Sorry if that wasn't at all the problem you were asking about, just thought I'd throw it out there just in case. If this isn't helpful for your particular situation, please describe it a little more and I'll try to offer other suggestions.

Return to DaVinci Resolve