Disable middle-click to copy grades

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TCP786

Disable middle-click to copy grades

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 9:15 pm

Pretty much everywhere else in Resolve, middle click and drag is used to navigate around whatever you're looking at (timeline, viewer, node trees, etc). Consequently, I keep accidentally copying grades between clips in the clips view of the color page when I intend to scroll through it. Can I disable this shortcut? I can't find anything related to mouse clicks in the keyboard shortcuts menu.

Marc Wielage

Re: Disable middle-click to copy grades

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 1:53 am

TCP786 wrote:Pretty much everywhere else in Resolve, middle click and drag is used to navigate around whatever you're looking at (timeline, viewer, node trees, etc). Consequently, I keep accidentally copying grades between clips in the clips view of the color page when I intend to scroll through it. Can I disable this shortcut? I can't find anything related to mouse clicks in the keyboard shortcuts menu.

I don't think you can. Try very hard, and over time, you'll stop accidentally triggering this mode.

One tip might be to learn the other commands for copying grades. Another would be to invest in a color panel like the ones from Tangent or Blackmagic, which will save you time and sometimes have dedicated buttons to do specific things. Macro Keyboards like the Elgato Streamdeck and the XKeys can also help with copy/paste commands and other color-specific controls.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

TCP786

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 2:20 am

Marc Wielage wrote:One tip might be to learn the other commands for copying grades.

My issue doesn't have to do with copying grades, it's more about not accidentally copying them, so in this case I think what you mean is "learn other ways to navigate in other areas so you don't reflexively use middle mouse click to try to scroll through the clips view." I think that's possible everywhere else except for zoomed in viewers, though it would be nice if "zoom around mouse cursor" worked in viewers like it does everywhere else.

What makes it particularly bad for me though is that the color page doesn't have a viewable undo history, so if I think I might have accidentally clicked something, I can't really be sure without a scrutinizing pass of undos and redos.

Anyway, it seems like "just get used to it" is the only realistic solution here, unfortunately. It would be ideal if they added mouse operations to the keyboard shortcuts settings, but I won't hold my breath here.

TheBloke

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 7:26 am

TCP786 wrote:What makes it particularly bad for me though is that the color page doesn't have a viewable undo history, so if I think I might have accidentally clicked something, I can't really be sure without a scrutinizing pass of undos and redos.
And that undo may well undo more than just that click, because Color undoes are grouped by time.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

TCP786

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 7:44 am

Oh wow, I don't know how I didn't think about that yet. Are they for sure based on time only? I've never specifically tested it, but I kind of assumed it would make a new undo entry for different categories of tasks if the time window hadn't finished, like if you changed a primaries wheel parameter and then changed the input source on an unrelated node. Also, is there any way at all to recover information from only some actions within an undo like this? If I made juuust the right painstakingly specific adjustment to an HDR wheel, and shortly after accidentally middle clicked a different clip in the clip pane, is that HDR value gone forever?

TheBloke

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 8:30 am

It's per clip and - I think - per node, but yes otherwise entirely time based.

However, upon testing it just now, I found it harder than I remembered to get it to group things together. Maybe they've reduce the time period, so that disparate items are grouped less often.

For more info, see: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=145896
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

TCP786

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 8:59 am

Oh yeah, I remember that thread. It's a wonderfully thorough discussion about the implications of the specificity with which software allows us the ability to revert our own human error... I only chimed in once though, as I am only a mere office chair philosopher.

Jokes aside, things like this are motivating me to update Resolve even though I'm not done with my current project...

Return to DaVinci Resolve