Multicam preview toggle

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

morningside

Multicam preview toggle

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 11:48 pm

Forgive me if there is a solution to this one. But I've googled, checked the manual, and searched this forum with no luck. I'm editing with 2 timelines. One is my "main edit," and the other is my multicam clip with 2 camera angles. My issue is when I take a snippet of video from the multicam timeline, then paste it over to the main timeline, and come back to the multicam timeline. I have to select the multicam viewer from the dropdown in the multicam preview window, every single time. Is there a way to make this "sticky" so to speak? So that it always shows in multicam view instead of single source?

Chickweed Arts

Re: Multicam preview toggle

PostMon May 09, 2022 4:08 pm

I have searched the same issue. There is another post on the forum that suggests a feature request solution. (sorry... having trouble finding that other post again)

Well, if DR just remembered the last state of the Source viewer when switching back to the timeline, that would certainly be a big help. Seems to be specific to the Multicam tool, if any of the other tools are selected when switching between timelines, they also stay selected after the switch. But not Multicam, that always goes back to Source "tool," it seems.
DaVinci Studio 17.x, Windows 10 Pro, x1 NVidia 2080 and x1 AMD towers, Aero Gigabyte latop (NVidia 3080).
Experienced editor, shifted from Final Cut to Premiere and now to DaVinci.

Jim Simon

Re: Multicam preview toggle

PostMon May 09, 2022 9:34 pm

You might try a different approach.

Cut the entire Multicam in real time as a first pass.

Then go through each edit and tweak it as needed.

Then Copy/Paste the clips you want into the main timeline.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve