joining two clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

grant.cahoon

joining two clips

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 1:26 am

If I split one clip into two, is there a way to rejoin them so they look like one clip again. You can do this in garage band, so I'm sure there is a way to do it in DR. I know you can link two clips, but it doesn't get rid of the line separating the two clips that you split. It just shows a chain link on both clips. I have asked this question before and someone said that If you have changed the connecting end of either clip, you can't do it. But, if you haven't changed anything at all and just want the two clips to become one again, is there a way? I have spent hours on the training videos.
DR Version 17.4.3 build 10
macOS Catalina 10.15.7
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch)
Processor 2.7 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
121GB Flash Storage with 26.55GB available
Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

External HD 2 TB

Marc Wielage

Re: joining two clips

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 1:41 am

grant.cahoon wrote:If I split one clip into two, is there a way to rejoin them so they look like one clip again.

Yes. Split command = ⌘/ on Mac, and Join command is Option \. The commands are also under the Timeline menu: Timeline -> Split Clip and Timeline -> Join Clip. Some control surfaces have dedicated buttons for these operations.

For anybody new to Resolve editing, read the free textbook "The Editor’s Guide to DaVinci Resolve 17," available on Blackmagic's Training website:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training

Split & Join is covered in there. Join will work as long as both halves are from the same clip source.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

TCP786

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 1:42 am

If they used to be the same clip, just delete one of them and extend the other one to the full length. To make sure it's frame-perfect, turn on snap and move the playhead to the end of the one you're deleting so the other one snaps to the playhead when you extend it.

EDIT: Oh cool, "join clips" exists too... Thanks Marc.

grant.cahoon

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 3:15 am

I never thought of just deleting the clip on the right and extending the clip on the left. Brilliant!

On one of the pieces, I cut the repeat out because it was too long. I edited each end so it sounded like the original - absolutely smooth connect. Would there be a way to join those two clips, or a way to render it without deleting all the other tracks? Since I cut the repeat, I can't just extend the left clip to the right.

The "split clip" and "join clip" did work when I didn't touch either end. That's the first time it has ever worked for me. Maybe I was doing something wrong before???

The only way I could render the song that I cut the repeat out, was to delete all the other songs on the other tracks and then render that song alone. There must be an easier way to do it though. I appreciate the instruction given by one responder, but it was too complicated for me to follow. I tried for an hour.
DR Version 17.4.3 build 10
macOS Catalina 10.15.7
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch)
Processor 2.7 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
121GB Flash Storage with 26.55GB available
Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

External HD 2 TB

TCP786

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 3:27 am

grant.cahoon wrote:Since I cut the repeat, I can't just extend the left clip to the right.

In this case I think you'd need to render them together, which I would recommend not doing unless you really have to, and if you do, make sure you're not potentially losing any quality in that render, because that's what you'll be rending from again later when you export. Instead, I would recommend selecting both of them, right clicking, and selecting "new compound clip." If you need to make changes to the way they sync up after that, you can either right click and "decompose to original" or right click and select "open in timeline." If you decompose to original, you'll need to combine them to a new compound clip again after you're done, and this risks losing processing that happens later down the line (e.g. if they are video clips with color corrections, I think the node tree in the color page for the original compound clip will be lost forever once you decompose it).

grant.cahoon wrote:The only way I could render the song that I cut the repeat out, was to delete all the other songs on the other tracks and then render that song alone. There must be an easier way to do it though.

Mute all the other tracks before rendering (or solo the relevant ones)? Just make sure your in and out points are set correctly if any of the muted tracks extend longer than the ones you're trying to render.

Return to DaVinci Resolve