Cannot locate DaVinci Resolve Application After Download

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mherman31

Cannot locate DaVinci Resolve Application After Download

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 8:32 pm

I've downloaded, installed, not been able to locate the application on my computer then uninstalled and reinstalled at least half a dozen times already.

I can see the Control Panels app but a search in my apps doesn't show the DaVinci Resolve app to edit videos.

What do I need to do to find and use the application?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Cannot locate DaVinci Resolve Application After Download

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 5:04 am

Which OS and where did you download from?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Sean Nelson

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 7:09 am

Ever since I first started using Resolve with the last version of 16.x, none of the versions have ever installed a Start Menu entry for the actual application. I get entries for the RAW Player, the Speed Test, Control Panels and the Fairlight Studio Utility, but never for Resolve itself.

I've always downloaded the install kits from the BlackMagic Support Page. I always use an unprivileged account and enter the admin password when the UAC prompt appears upon running the installation program.

So what I did was, after installing, go into the Resolve program folder at:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

...find the "Resolve.exe" file, right-drag it to the desktop and click on "Create Shortcuts Here". Then I right-click the shortcut and select "Pin to Start". Once the start menu shortcut is in place I delete the shortcut from the desktop to keep the desktop uncluttered.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

roger.magnusson

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 10:15 am

This happens if the Windows account you are using to install DaVinci Resolve doesn't have administrator rights.

Everything gets installed but you're missing the icons on your account profile. To fix it, run Windows PowerShell as Administrator, paste this in the console and press enter:

Code: Select all
Copy-Item -Path "$env:APPDATA\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\*.*" -Destination "$env:ALLUSERSPROFILE\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\"

Sean Nelson

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 10:04 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:This happens if the Windows account you are using to install DaVinci Resolve doesn't have administrator rights.

Then it's clearly a bug that should be fixed. The install program itself runs with administrative rights anyway, courtesy of the UAC prompt that authenticates the admin password, and it's is perfectly capable of adding the other shortcuts to the Start Menu - so there's clearly no technical reason why it couldn't add the shortcut for the actual application as well.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

roger.magnusson

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 11:26 pm

I agree, it should be fixed. At the very least the installer should detect the permissions of the current user and provide guidance.

Return to DaVinci Resolve