Ripple Delete In and Out

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

F.Spangler

Ripple Delete In and Out

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 2:57 pm

Hi, New to Resolve.

Loving the transition to Resolve. What an amazing program!

I am, however, struggling with Ripple Delete from the in and out points (all tracks) on my Edit Timeline. There doesn't seem to be a native way to do that. I am working with the Keyboard shortcut for Edit Timeline: Ripple Delete, and that seems to work some of the time, but more often than not it will delete whole sections of video clips from one track that are outside the in and out points. What am I doing wrong? I do this action several hundred times a day in the course of a normal edit and it is driving me crazy that it is deleting clips outside the range of the in and out.

Please help!

Jason Conrad

Re: Ripple Delete In and Out

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 3:06 pm

You have to make sure Selection Follows Playhead is disabled, or the whole clip under the playhead will get a direct selection (orange outline) and disappear when you ripple delete. Additionally, all of the "<>" auto select indicators need to be enabled on tracks you want to affect with the ripple delete. Turning off SFP doesn't de-select automatically, so after you toggle it off, you might also need to click outside of the selected clip or command-shift-A to Deselect All. When it's set up right, Resolve will preview the affected tracks with a bright/dim highlight between the in/out points.
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

F.Spangler

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 10:15 pm

Thanks, that clears things up perfectly. "It's a feature, not a bug!"

I still wish that "Ripple Delete from In to out", could become a top priority function in its own right, not something that you have to first deselect clips that may have become inadvertently selected. What if the selected clip/clips are outside the frame of view and parts of my edit go missing and I work an hour and save? When I ripple delete after having set an in and out, that's what I want deleted, nothing else! If there is not a dedicated function for this specific function, there should be, IMHO.

drewgandy

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 2:56 am

I completely agree with F.Spangler. There seem to be far too many ways in Resolve to delete things inadvertently without even realizing.
And I'm not clear on what method (if any) the designers intend for us to use to remove large sections of the timeline.

Return to DaVinci Resolve