Hard drive paths not right

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

chiara_cope

Hard drive paths not right

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 4:11 pm

Hi everyone,
this forum has always helped me solving a lot of problems, not it seems like I can't find the solution for this new issue that popped up.

I have always worked on a MacBook Pro (now running Monterey) using the same external Drive (a LaCie 2big RAID) for backups, cache, gallery, capture... and never had any problem.

About a month ago (I don't actually know if it was with the new update) DaVinci started to tell me that the capture, cache and stills location required an update ("Please update the cache/capture... files location in project settings as the current location is offline or inaccessible") and also that it couldn't back up my projects ("DaVinci Resolve failed to backup ... as a backup folder could not be created in the selected Project Backup Location - Please ensure that the selected Project Backup Location in User Preferences has appropriate read and write permissions")

When I try to update the locations it seems like DaVinci creates a new folder (LaCie 1, or LaCie 2...now I'm at LaCie 3 :? ), which I've never created, and readapts the paths to the new folder it creates, even though I select the right hard disk. If I write it manually the messages pops up again. If I leave the new folder like it is, during the session I still get the failed backup message and when I re-launch DaVinci it starts all over again.

I can access and navigate the hard disk from the finder, and I can see it's not parted.

I'm really lost at this point, I tried to see if it was a problem in my Mac, but everyone I talk to says that the problem is inside the software. I've written to the Blackmagic Support, but haven't received an answer yet, so I figured writing here is the best that I can do now.
Thank you in advance!!
Chiara Coperchini

Mark Foster

Re: Hard drive paths not right

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 4:29 pm

is your drive HFS+ formated?

resolve seems to have some problems with exFAT formated drives
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

chiara_cope

Re: Hard drive paths not right

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 8:23 am

Mark Foster wrote:is your drive HFS+ formated?

resolve seems to have some problems with exFAT formated drives

Hello Mark, thank you for your answer. I have never formatted the drive, but I can't backup everything I have on it since I don't have another external disk.
Is formatting it the only way? :|
Chiara Coperchini

Return to DaVinci Resolve