CTRL+Z erases all automations on a Fairlight track? Really?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Leo Mozoloa

CTRL+Z erases all automations on a Fairlight track? Really?

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 5:14 pm

Hello,

I'm fuming right now as it's not the first time that has happened and it's slowly killing me. I probably just lost an entire day worth of work.

Whenever I'm drawing some automations in Fairlight on a plugin, or basically anywhere on an audio track, if I make a wrong move, I instinctively press CTRL + Z and it literally erases the ENTIRETY of the automations on that track (on every automated parameter) including some I had made long ago that were chilling there. On top of that, Redo doesn't restore them at all...??

Am I doing something wrong? if not, am I the only one? Or is this some sort of feature and in that case who had this idea and who & why let this get to the final software? I'm genuinely curious.

While I was trying to reproduce the bug on an empty project, I just created a timeline and drew a random automation on fader & pan, then CTRL Z'd and everything vanished as planned, CTRL Shift Z actually crashed the software, so that's great.

I have the latest versions of Resolve Studio & Windows 10.
Last edited by Leo Mozoloa on Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reynaud Venter

Re: CTRL+Z erases all automations on a Fairlight track? Real

PostFri Dec 03, 2021 5:22 pm

What is the Edit menu > History reflecting?

Are multiple “Automation Mouse Edit” items listed per action?

Are you able to step through individual automation edits via the history?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Leo Mozoloa

PostTue Jan 03, 2023 6:20 pm

Alright This is awful, I thought this would be fixed but I finally have it on video

To answer your question Reynaud,here's the history:
Resolve_0pZ7uSzVfz.png
Resolve_0pZ7uSzVfz.png (11.11 KiB) Viewed 302 times

Just so you know, clicking any of the "drawing automation" did not revert any of the automation, they're gone in the void, never to be found again.

And I actually filmed those last steps to show the world

Basically you draw some automation then do any random edits, and you can't Undo ever again, as along side undoing your last action, it's going to remove the last automation you did even if it was many actions ago.

I don't want to hear that this is some wanted behaviour, I can't believe it lmao, who actually benefits from this ? tell me this is a bug please, or that I can disable it haha

Reynaud Venter

PostTue Jan 03, 2023 7:08 pm

Is the illustrated behaviour with Resolve 18.1.2 with the pencil and Focus Mode?

Similar behaviour writing automation data via touching a control (either UI element or physical fader/rotary) and then undoing passes?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Return to DaVinci Resolve