Resolve 17.4.2 Studio Denoise Bug

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Daniel Rheaume

Resolve 17.4.2 Studio Denoise Bug

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 3:57 am

Hello!
I have recently upgraded my Resolve to the latest 17.4.2.
I'm running this on an M1 Mac (Big Sur 11.6) , Base model. I'm grading Ursa Mini Pro G2 footage shot in BRAW at 5:1.

As soon as I apply temporal denoising to any clips, the viewer freezes. I am still able to work in Resolve and use the controls, but the actual viewer stops updating to reflect the changes I make with the controls.

I have no crash log to provide because Resolve didn't actually crash. Just stopped the update of viewer pane.
The last stable version of Resolve Studio that I have found on my M1 mac is 17.2.2. Every version after that has caused crashes, hangs, or this freeze. Thankfully, many of those issues were remedied in 17.4.2, but the viewer freeze is killing me.

I had been waiting to see if anyone else reported similar bugs, but didn't see any.
Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Uli Plank

Re: Resolve 17.4.2 Studio Denoise Bug

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 11:05 am

So, this is last years M1, not one of the new models? Which radius are you using for NR?
You might be asking too much from the hardware, can you post a screenshot of your NR settings?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Daniel Rheaume

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 11:06 pm

Hi Uli,
Thanks for the reply! Yes, it is last years generation of m1.
However, I have been able to use the denoiser in every single version until now. Downgrading to 17.2.2 solves the issue immediately. So this is something introduced in a recent update. My guess is 17.4.2, but could have been 17.4.

Additionally, you can find lots of videos on YouTube of people demonstrating denoiser on 1st gen m1.
Playback is obviously quite slow on it, (avg 3-5fps in my experience) but definitely works.
And finally, even if for some reason the hardware is not powerful enough to play back with denoiser, The viewer pane should still update after turning off the denoiser node. Currently it basically causes a memory hang that is only resolved through a force quit.

Hope this helps and again, would love to know if any other 1st gen m1 users have noticed this as well.
I really like the updates that came in 17.4, so I'm very much hoping to get this solved and get my denoiser back.

Thanks!

Edit:
I am not at the computer to get a screenshot, but
for reference, it's a 4k clip in a 1080p timeline.
Denoiser was set to "better" and 2 frames.
And chroma and luma were ganged and set to a value of around 10.

Uli Plank

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 12:51 am

That's five frames in total. Try a radius of 1.

I have no problems whatsoever with NR on my laptop and I doubt the Mac mini would expose a bug in DR when the newer M1 doesn't. Did you already try a fresh install? Are you using Monterey?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Daniel Rheaume

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 6:42 pm

Uli Plank wrote:ey?

Hi Uli!
I understand reducing radius might help it out, but again, downgrading to 17.2.2 fixes the issue.

So this is new to 17.4 on my system. I have downgraded and upgraded multiple times now. Not sure if that's different from a clean uninstall/install on a mac? I came from PC not long ago.

Not using Monteray. I'm still on Big Sur 11.6 because I know Apple has had a bad habit of deprecating things in newer OS's that can cause issues in 3rd party software. Are you on Monteray without issue?

Thanks!

Uli Plank

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 5:03 am

The only issue I have with Monterey is wrong placement of windows after waking up. No biggie.
I'd try Catalina if you don't want Monterey. People call your system "Bug Sure" for a reason ;-)

Daniel Rheaume

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 10:43 pm

As an update on the state of this bug -

I updated to Mac OS 12.0.1, and the issue unfortunately still exists.
I will have to downgrade back to 17.2.2 to finish up on my current projects that use Noise Reduction, sadly.

All the projects that worked perfectly in 17.2.2 on my system hang when opened on 17.4.2 as soon as a clip with the NR is loaded, or as soon as a powergrade that worked in 17.2.2 containing NR is applied to a clip.

The viewer pane freezes, even though the rest of the GUI remains interactive. Whether or not the controls are still working during this freeze, I couldn't say, because, again, nothing updates in the viewer pane. Quitting Resolve will close the application's GUI, but a force quit is then necessary to get things truly closed. Feels like a memory leak or something.

Unfortunate, for sure! Hoping the next version solves this major issue!

Thanks!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 12:17 am

We're not able to reproduce this. Can you send a small Project Export .drp that exhibits the issue for you?

Edit: And also a Resolve log file.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Daniel Rheaume

PostSun Dec 19, 2021 1:13 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:We're not able to reproduce this. Can you send a small Project Export .drp that exhibits the issue for you?

Edit: And also a Resolve log file.

Hi Dwaine!
Thanks for your reply, and sorry for the delay. I've been wrapping up projects for the year and wasn't able to leave the stable 17.2.2 to do this test until now.

Here is a link to my simple project, along with the one clip in timeline, and the crash log.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Additionally, I screen recorded myself encountering the issue in this sample project so that you can see what is happening.

I used my fixed node tree structure, but there are only a few nodes actually doing anything in this project.
Using only denoise seems to work just fine, but it may have something to do with when I use the exposure tool on the HDR panel, in conjunction with groups and the noise reduction. That's a stab in the dark at least.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide.
Thank you!
- Daniel

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 20, 2021 11:22 pm

I've put your project and media on an identical M1 MacPro running 12.0.1, and I'm still not able to reproduce the issue.

I've followed your video, and when I enable the NR node, it plays and plays.

Is going to full screen mode required for you to see the issue? If you don't go to full screen mode, does the issue still occur?

Looking through your logs associated with this project, I do see some GPU related errors that mention rendering. When you have this viewer freezing issue, is that being preceded by any render attempts?

Or, you just load the Denoise project you sent here, and enable the NR node and it instantly hangs the viewer, as per your video?

In your screen video, did you do things in the project prior to the start of the screen recording?
Dwaine Maggart

Daniel Rheaume

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 1:19 am

Hi Dwaine!
I appreciate you taking the time to help evaluate this!
I do think that going in to fullscreen mode may definitely be one of the triggers, although I would have to confirm. I'll look into letting it play without going into fullscreen mode.

As far as the project, the project was fresh with nothing notable done before screen recording other than a basic grade that used primary wheels, HDR exposure, and possibly log wheels.

The only other thing to mention is that I have the clip in a group setup with CST's on pre-clip and post clip to replicate a typical situation for me. My node tree was loaded as a powergrade that I created in a previous version of Resolve.

I will try again not using my node tree, and not going to fullscreen to see what happens.
Thanks!

Daniel Rheaume

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 1:42 am

Okay, So I have a new video showing from start to finish every action I take to get the crash.

I have also created a crash log from this latest attempt.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pYzDzc ... sp=sharing

For whatever reason, I'm actually getting even worse results this time.
Let me know if I can provide anything else to help investigate!

EDIT: Oh! Forgot to mention, I'm on M1 MacMini. Which I know is less probably less powerful than MacPro, but has been working just fine in 17.2.2.

Thanks!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 6:21 pm

I still see the same GPU related errors in the log.

Before I bother the dev team with that, please try the new 17.4.3 version that was just released, and see if that makes the issue go away. If not, please send another log from that attempt.
Dwaine Maggart

Daniel Rheaume

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 8:06 pm

Hi Dwaine!
I just downloaded and tested with the same clip and....
SUCCESS! Thank you for your help, and thank you to the dev team!

Not sure what the key was to it all, but on 17.4.3 my issue appears to be resolved!
I haven't done extensive testing to try and break it, but everything I did to get it to crash in the video is no longer causing an issue. Additionally, the playback actually even seems smoother with NR on then it did in 17.2.2.

So once again, thanks for helping on this!

All the best!
-Daniel

Return to DaVinci Resolve