Automated edits in Davinci Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

tezza99

Automated edits in Davinci Resolve

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 9:50 am

Hi all. I have a task that is seemingly simple but maddeningly hard to find out if it is possible in Resolve.

Let's say the playhead is at 1:00:00. I want to press a predefined keyboard shortcut, which will then do either :

mark an in point 10 seconds BEFORE where the playhead is now, and an outpoint 10 seconds AFTER where the playhead is, and make that a subclip

or, do the same thing with a blade edit on the main timeline. the workflow can be anything, i am not fussy. All I am after is pressing a key at a certain point and it making cuts 10s before and after. I was able to automate that on an avid system but no idea how to do it here.

any suggestions?

Andy Mees

Re: Automated edits in Davinci Resolve

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 3:15 pm

You'd need to trigger a series of keyboard shortcuts to do that in Resolve, so to do it with a single keypress then you would need to program a macro ... sadly Resolve has no built in support for macros but there are plenty of third party options available if this important to you.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

tezza99

Re: Automated edits in Davinci Resolve

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 1:10 am

ok thanks. i was hoping there was something as straightforward as a photoshop action. but you're saying that it's possible to set a keyboard shortcut for something like "go back 10 seconds from current time"? if so, i guess i could set up 3 hotkeys and do it that way

Return to DaVinci Resolve