3d Text (Tracked) Which Enters From Right & Goes Off Left

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

andyvirt

3d Text (Tracked) Which Enters From Right & Goes Off Left

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 6:39 pm

Hi All,

Only at the beginner level here, haven't used it much and I'm trying to add some 3d text to a drone shot. The clip just flies from left to right and I want some 3d text to appear halfway through which enters the clip on the right of the screen and will disappear to the left.

Anybody know of a good video which shows this? I can find lots where the text is just on the screen and tracking an object but not what I'm after.

Many thanks.

andyvirt

Re: 3d Text (Tracked) Which Enters From Right & Goes Off Lef

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 8:35 pm

Just to add to this. I've been trying to work it out all day. If I start the text at the edge of the screen with the first letter showing - the rest off to the right, when I play, all that is off the screen is hidden. I can move the text to the left and you see it "pulled" from behind the mask (sorry if that term is incorrect).

Sander de Regt

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 9:06 pm

Can you show us what you have maybe? Because it's difficult to figure out from your description what the issue is that you're facing. Do you have a working 3D track yet? Did you put the 3D text somewhere in the shot that you feel it would be useful etc etc?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

andyvirt

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 9:18 pm

OK hopefully the video explains it. I point to my 1 tracker (which I show later).
In this example, I have added the tracker near the right hand edge of the screen.
I track forwards, Operation = Match Move.
I put the text at the edge, so some is off the screen.
When all done, I play but as soon as the camera moves right you see the text "behind" something.

The full video continues moving right all the way across the viaduct. What I really want is the text to be off screen at the beginning.

Andy Mees

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 10:47 pm

I'm not a Fusion expert but I wonder if this may be one of those instances where you need to (or can) use a crop node to increase the effective image area of the rendered text ie to crop it bigger. I think what you would be doing in that scenario is increasing the Domain of Definition of the rendered text image. I had to do this on a recent project in order to stop a drop shadow on an animated still from being hard cropped.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

xunile

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 1:32 am

There are multiple ways to do it, but I would add a Transform node after the Renderer3D node, then right-click the Transform Center in the Inspector and choose Connect To>Tracker1>Tracker1 Offset Position. Then in the Tracker, adjust the x and x offset to place the 3D Text so it appears where you want it to. I tracked the front bumper of the car below then moved the text over the roof. If you have access to the 3D Tracker, it would probably do a better job, but I saw in your example that you used the regular Tracker node.
Attachments
2021-12-04 (1).jpg
2021-12-04 (1).jpg (306.99 KiB) Viewed 720 times
2021-12-04 (2).jpg
2021-12-04 (2).jpg (304.03 KiB) Viewed 720 times
2021-12-04 (4).jpg
2021-12-04 (4).jpg (295.31 KiB) Viewed 720 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

andyvirt

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 1:56 pm

Thanks very much for the replies everybody.

@xunile - what are you doing with Tracker1 and why do you have 2 trackers? If I put it there, when I position it in the scene then track forward - it does nothing.

OK, looks like I did things in the wrong order - I can now track forward Tracker1.

But, adding Camera3D1 - when I play, the clip does not move. Could you please show me a screenshot of your settings for that node?

I do have the studio version by the way.

The video I was working from is attached - but I just use a single tracker - not sure why he uses 4.

Thanks again for any help.

Edit (again) - Adding the same nodes as yourself - I no longer see my text.

andyvirt

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 4:54 pm

Hi All,

Managed to do it following the video below.

Thanks very much for your help.

Return to DaVinci Resolve