Colors Way Off in Proxy Playback

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dcolacino

Colors Way Off in Proxy Playback

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 12:28 am

I need to create proxy media for my BMPCC 6K .braw footage to save disk space. Using DaVinci YRGB Color Managed mode the .braw original looks great, but when I switch to proxy playback, the color of ProRes 422 Proxy format proxy files is way off. All colors are cut off at about 3/4 of full amplitude on the scopes.

I can't find color settings for proxy files though. What is causing this problem?
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 (build 7); iMac 27 inch, Retina 5K; 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 processor; 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4; Internal 2TB SSD; Radeon Pro 580 8 GB graphics running Ventura 13.6.4.

John Paines

Re: Colors Way Off in Proxy Playback

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 1:14 am

If you're using color management, you'd need to set the input color space of the proxy media manually. Otherwise, it's likely to default incorrectly, for example to rec. 709, in which case you'd be looking at unprocessed log on a rec 709 timeline. (I'm assuming you're not talking about timeline proxy mode playback.)

Also be advised that optimized media, and presumably proxy media, doesn't retain superwhites or subblacks, unless you use 16-bit float or Prores 4444 formats. Am not sure about HRxDN 4444 formats.

dcolacino

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 1:51 am

I'm referring to creating proxy media by control-clicking a clip in the media pool and choosing "Generate Proxy Media" from the resulting menu. It doesn't matter whether you play the clip in Quicktime Player or tell Resolve Playback to "Use Proxy Media if Available," the colors are screwed up. There must be a specific color setting for creating proxy media, but I'll be damned if I can find it.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 (build 7); iMac 27 inch, Retina 5K; 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 processor; 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4; Internal 2TB SSD; Radeon Pro 580 8 GB graphics running Ventura 13.6.4.

John Paines

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 1:56 am

One possible explanation of why it's happening, and how to correct it, was offered above. Try again?

dcolacino

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 2:18 am

I see no option for proxy media input color space. Where did you find it?

dcolacino

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 9:56 pm

I've made another discovery about the problematic proxy media behavior:
1. If I turn off color management in Project Settings before generating proxy media
a. The proxy media looks exactly like the .braw files in QuickTime player,
b. The proxy media looks exactly like the .braw file in Resolve's source viewer with color management off,
c. The proxy media looks very washed out in Resolve's source viewer with color management on.

2. If I turn color management on in Project Settings before generating proxy media
a. The proxy media is oversaturated and blown out in QuickTime player,
b. The proxy media is oversaturated and blown out in Resolve's source viewer with color management off,
c. The proxy media is oversaturated and clipped at about 3/4 of the dynamic range with color management on.

When "use proxy media" is selected in the playback menu, I see no indication that I'm looking at proxy media other than the checkmark in the playback menu, and revealing the clip in finder takes me to the original file rather than the proxy.

There is never any option on the clip in the media pool to choose an input color space.

At no point does proxy media color ever come even close to matching the look of the original clip in Resolve.

Why is this happening?

Return to DaVinci Resolve