Scene detect not working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

BumbleBee

Scene detect not working

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 1:23 am

I can't make the scene detect do anything, it is not working. (Also this was in mouse menu before that you could make a scene detect, why is it gone?)
Attachments
Skærmbillede 2021-12-05 kl. 02.15.14.png
Skærmbillede 2021-12-05 kl. 02.15.14.png (718.76 KiB) Viewed 5598 times
MacOS 14.3.1 / version 18.6.6 build 7 - M1
Or 10.14.6 - 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 - 32 GB Ram
GTX 680MX

Uli Plank

Re: Scene detect not working

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 1:46 am

It may help to do some reading, since there are two versions now (in chapter 23). One is for the timeline and consequently found it that menu:
"1 Select one or more clips you want to split on the Timeline. Alternately, you can limit Scene Cut Detection to just a portion of a clip by setting In and Out points on the Timeline around the section you want to analyze.
2 Choose Timeline > Detect Scene Cuts."

If you want the old version, which you call "mouse menu", generally known as contextual menu = right mouse click. It's still to be found under Workspace:

"1 Open the Media page, and use the Media Storage browser to find and select the clip you need to split apart. Do not add a clip you want to use scene detection on to the Media Pool first. You need to use Scene Detection before the clip has been imported.
2 Do one of the following:
– Right-click the file and choose Scene Cut Detection."

Both work perfectly fine for me (Studio).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

BumbleBee

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 6:38 pm

Uli Plank wrote:It may help to do some reading, since there are two versions now (in chapter 23). One is for the timeline and consequently found it that menu:
"1 Select one or more clips you want to split on the Timeline. Alternately, you can limit Scene Cut Detection to just a portion of a clip by setting In and Out points on the Timeline around the section you want to analyze.
2 Choose Timeline > Detect Scene Cuts."

If you want the old version, which you call "mouse menu", generally known as contextual menu = right mouse click. It's still to be found under Workspace:

"1 Open the Media page, and use the Media Storage browser to find and select the clip you need to split apart. Do not add a clip you want to use scene detection on to the Media Pool first. You need to use Scene Detection before the clip has been imported.
2 Do one of the following:
– Right-click the file and choose Scene Cut Detection."

Both work perfectly fine for me (Studio).

ALL this is wrong...

chapter 23? in what manual - are talking version 17?

It is not in the v.17 - Beginners-guide OR v.17 - editors-guide... It might be in version 16, since I also have read it at some point.

In the program:
Choose Timeline > Detect Scene Cuts." - NO "scene cut" in the menu... (I am looking under EDIT)
– Right-click the file and choose Scene Cut Detection." - Also this is NOT there (Looking under MEDIA)

So I still need to get help to "scene cut" - only thing I can find is in the menu "workspace" - scene cut detector - but nothing happens when pressing it.
GTX 680MX

cyberphile

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 7:16 pm

I found it in the Davinci Resolve Reference Manual that can be accessed from the Help menu in v17. The Scene Cut Detection on the Timeline method does require the Studio version of Resolve.
DR Studio 18.5.1
GTX 1070 8GB VRAM
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 16GB
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

Mads Johansen

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 11:05 pm

There's two scene cut detection types: 1) The "old" one based on frame to frame difference:
2) The Neural Engine way:

1): Scene cut detect is particular about what media you have selected: If you have any timeline media selected (the bottom half in Media tab), it won't work. It needs the media to be selected in the top part.
Right click on the top part and Scene cut Detect is number 6 (the middle one in the 2nd section).
Same functionality as if you use Workspace -> Scene cut detector.

2): The neural engine version requires media to be in the timeline. Timeline -> detect scene cuts.

Both versions are in the November 2021 Reference Manual for Version 17.4, page 386+387.

To be honest, I don't know if I can tell the difference between the two, in terms of quality of cut detection.
The "old" gives you more control over when exactly to insert a cut (in terms of how much a change is required for a cut)
Davinci Resolve Studio 19B Build 20, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 551.86 Studio

BumbleBee

PostTue Dec 14, 2021 2:10 am

cyberphile wrote:I found it in the Davinci Resolve Reference Manual that can be accessed from the Help menu in v17. The Scene Cut Detection on the Timeline method does require the Studio version of Resolve.

ahh, they put the manual direct into the help menu - that was smart... also the learning link...

It says scene cut on timeline (only deluxe) but still should have "scene cut" in "media". problem is just, that on version 17.4.2 the option is just not there....

Another thing is that I dont understand why the FULL program is not just inside of the free, and on the "Deluxe - studio" things then it goes red or some kind of text where it says only in studio version...
GTX 680MX

Peter Cave

PostTue Dec 14, 2021 3:06 am

The manual has always been in the Help Menu, so no change.

Scene Cut Detection. is accessed before you import media into the Media Pool using the Media Storage area.
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 2.03.39 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 2.03.39 pm.jpg (546.65 KiB) Viewed 5148 times
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Marc Wielage

PostTue Dec 14, 2021 3:50 am

I find Scene Detection on the Media Page is more useful (for the way I work) because it has more user adjustments available in it. I still wish that we had a "Minimum Scene Length" (like one second), to avoid multiple false cut events. We've needed that for at least 9-10 years now. I have compared Timeline Scene Detection to the old Media Page Scene Detection, and the latter is more accurate to me.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

BumbleBee

PostWed Dec 15, 2021 12:16 am

Peter Cave wrote:The manual has always been in the Help Menu, so no change.

I NEVER seen it as a PDF! It was as text or the PDF was when you installed it!
GTX 680MX

BumbleBee

PostWed Dec 15, 2021 12:29 am

Peter Cave wrote:The manual has always been in the Help Menu, so no change.

Scene Cut Detection. is accessed before you import media into the Media Pool using the Media Storage area.
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 2.03.39 pm.jpg

Hmm, thanks. I am sure, I could import the clip first in early versions.

I wonder why the clips, are not put in a folder, when the scene cut has been made...

Also why it is not possible to "join cuts" if there is a wong edit.?
GTX 680MX

Marc Wielage

PostWed Dec 15, 2021 6:11 am

BumbleBee wrote:I wonder why the clips, are not put in a folder, when the scene cut has been made...

Well, they do wind up in a bin on the Media Page (also seen in the Edit Page) once the cuts are made.

It is possible to join the cut if you select both halves of the clip and choose "Timeline -> Join Clips" or the shortcut. Some control surfaces have shortcuts for these functions.

BumbleBee

PostWed Dec 15, 2021 10:19 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
BumbleBee wrote:I wonder why the clips, are not put in a folder, when the scene cut has been made...

Well, they do wind up in a bin on the Media Page (also seen in the Edit Page) once the cuts are made.

It is possible to join the cut if you select both halves of the clip and choose "Timeline -> Join Clips" or the shortcut. Some control surfaces have shortcuts for these functions.

NO - on MAC all cuts are just put on the tabel NO BIN....

and NO is is NOT possible to join the cuts made with "scene cut" - why do you think I am writing it!!! I did try it. And now I am trying it again to see if I was an idiot and I am NOT!!!!
GTX 680MX

Uli Plank

PostWed Dec 15, 2021 12:09 pm

It's true that under MacOS there is no automatically generated bin for the clips, but it's not really hard to first make one and keep it activated. All the scene cuts are then added to this bin.

For the next point, there seems to be some misunderstanding among you.
If the automatic scene cut detection is generating cuts, you have to correct them before adding them to the media pool. Just jump to the detected cuts with the up/down arrows and then press Delete, if there is no real cut in that position. Similarly, manoeuvre to a cut that has not been detected and press Add.

Once the clips are in the media pool, they are treated as master clips and can't be joined with the timeline command. That command only works if you made a split within one master clip in the timeline and want to get rid of it.

Hope this helps. For my part, I use that function a lot.

P.S. No need to shout, Mr. BumbleBee.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

BumbleBee

PostWed Dec 15, 2021 4:01 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I

good then it is not just me, but also the OS system that can be different.

Maybe they can fix the bin problem... and I still dont understand why I can just make a fast scene cut, start working, and then IF there is a problem with a scene cut, I should be able to join them or split thme on the timeline. Must be easy to fix also...

thanks for the details makes it more easy to find out, where things are going wrong, when working in the program.
GTX 680MX

Uli Plank

PostThu Dec 16, 2021 2:21 am

I don’t think they are planning to fix it. It works as expected. The version I tried to explain to you lately must be seen as a kind of separate unit. Here you prepare your edited source carefully (with manual Delete or Add where the AI fails) to get it into DR as if it were single shots out of a camera. Consequently, if the system or you are defining a bin for those clips doesn’t matter that much. You probably need to do your own sorting based on scene, camera angle or whatever will guide your grading anyway. Grading groups would be an alternative.
The other method explained further above still works and allows rejoining.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Dec 16, 2021 9:04 am

BumbleBee wrote:NO - on MAC all cuts are just put on the tabel NO BIN.... and NO is is NOT possible to join the cuts made with "scene cut" - why do you think I am writing it!!! I did try it. And now I am trying it again to see if I was an idiot and I am NOT!!!!

Well, I've been using scene cut for about 10 years and it can work. Perhaps it's possible you're not using it in an optimum way.

Go to the Media page. Select a destination bin at the bottom. From the source bin (top part of the page), highlight a file. Right-click and bring up the Scene Detect panel. Adjust the parameters, and let it do its thing. (I generally save the Scene Cut .SC list and an EDL file, just in case.) Delete the unwanted cuts, then add the good clips with the "Add Cuts to Media Pool" button.

Go to the Edit page, and drag the clips from that bin to the Timeline. Go back to the Media Pool and DELETE all the clips from that bin. Now, drag the original (uncut) clip from the source folder down to this bin. The Timeline will automatically repopulate, provided you're using the default "Automatically Conform Missing Clips Added to Media Pool" mode in General Options.

Now, you can extend or shorten any shot with the normal edit cursor controls, and you can also split or join any clip. This is a well-known technique, but for whatever reason, is not in the manual.

Uli Plank

PostThu Dec 16, 2021 9:38 am

Thanks for describing another great solution.
So, I may assume that you have to select a bin where the clips should go beforehand, just like on the Mac (assuming you have used it on a PC)?

As I wrote before, if the TO would use the timeline tool for cut detection instead of the one for media import, he'll get full flexibility anyway.

Marc Wielage

PostFri Dec 17, 2021 1:29 am

Uli Plank wrote:Thanks for describing another great solution.
So, I may assume that you have to select a bin where the clips should go beforehand, just like on the Mac (assuming you have used it on a PC)?

Yes. Otherwise, the split clips will just go to whatever randomly-selected bin you're currently on. I would like for Scene Detection to allow you to change bins AFTER you've done the scene detecting, but it unfortunately doesn't work that way at the moment.

As I wrote before, if the TO would use the timeline tool for cut detection instead of the one for media import, he'll get full flexibility anyway.

Not for the way I work. I can think of a half-dozen reasons why the Media Pool version of Scene Detect is better, particularly in terms of pruning bad shots, setting a threshold for detection range, exporting .SC and .EDLs, and also visually being able to check the scene detection accurately. I've been cutting up files for color correction for more than 40 years, because this is how we worked in film remastering from the beginning of time.

I don't dispute that if you're on (say) a TV reality show or a documentary where you get a last-minute replacement of a new 1-minute segment, and it's not yet been split, then it'd be great to just cut it within the timeline. But that doesn't gibe with what I do. A lot of times for commercials or promos, I'll just cut it manually by using command-\, particularly if it's a :30 second or 1-minute piece with only about 25-30 cuts total. I can do it very, very quickly, and it's extremely accurate. But for dealing with long form using flattened files, I think the method I describe is a better way to go.

Uli Plank

PostFri Dec 17, 2021 2:06 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Go back to the Media Pool and DELETE all the clips from that bin. Now, drag the original (uncut) clip from the source folder down to this bin. The Timeline will automatically repopulate, provided you're using the default "Automatically Conform Missing Clips Added to Media Pool" mode in General Options.

Like so often before, I'm glad we have you here in the forum. I didn't know this possibility either.

Marc Wielage wrote:I would like for Scene Detection to allow you to change bins AFTER you've done the scene detecting, but it unfortunately doesn't work that way at the moment.

This should be a feature request then.

BumbleBee

PostFri Dec 17, 2021 6:19 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
BumbleBee wrote:NO - on MAC all cuts are just put on the tabel NO BIN.... and NO is is NOT possible to join the cuts made with "scene cut" - why do you think I am writing it!!! I did try it. And now I am trying it again to see if I was an idiot and I am NOT!!!!

Well, I've been using scene cut for about 10 years and it can work. Perhaps it's possible you're not using it in an optimum way.

Go to the Media page. Select a destination bin at the bottom. From the source bin (top part of the page), highlight a file. Right-click and bring up the Scene Detect panel. Adjust the parameters, and let it do its thing. (I generally save the Scene Cut .SC list and an EDL file, just in case.) Delete the unwanted cuts, then add the good clips with the "Add Cuts to Media Pool" button.

Go to the Edit page, and drag the clips from that bin to the Timeline. Go back to the Media Pool and DELETE all the clips from that bin. Now, drag the original (uncut) clip from the source folder down to this bin. The Timeline will automatically repopulate, provided you're using the default "Automatically Conform Missing Clips Added to Media Pool" mode in General Options.

Now, you can extend or shorten any shot with the normal edit cursor controls, and you can also split or join any clip. This is a well-known technique, but for whatever reason, is not in the manual.

okay, I didnt understand any of this. This sound like a LOT of work, when it all can be fixed with some programming of how it works. I really don't understand why people here are SO mean, when I write about ways to make the program work more simpel and easy for everybody!

So for now it is still a LOT of manually work even with a scene cut, if there is just one cut wrong (always is)
GTX 680MX

Return to DaVinci Resolve