Noooob Question

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ThunderCatatonic

Noooob Question

PostSat Dec 04, 2021 7:27 pm

Why can't I open a project from the project file like you can in other programs?

I see the project file. I click on it. Windows asks me which program I'd like to open the project file with.

Nothing happens.

I'm not able to import it into the new database; coincidentally all my projects listed in the previous database disappeared.

I have the same folders where my projects are stored, as well as, a duplicate on an offshore HD.

HELP Please!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Noooob Question

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 9:10 am

Moved to Resolve forum

Resolve uses a database
U can export a drp which is the project file.
From Resolve project manager or file menu you can export or import the drp.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Glenn Sakatch

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 6:21 pm

Unfortunately you need to go back to the basics of Resolve and it's database system.

Don't fight with the database system, just use it.

For what you are trying, i would suggest, if you can access the database from the computer where it was originally built, do that, export the database, and then import the database on the box you are currently working on. Or as was suggested, go to the original box and export a DRP file, and then import that in your current system (after you have setup a new database.

Yes, Resolve does it differently than everyone else.
That is just a fact of working in the program.

Sean Nelson

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 6:30 pm

Yeah, it's because Resolve is designed from the ground up to use a database as it's storage mechanism - this is because it's intended for large scale use where several people might be working on different aspects of a project at the same time. The database allows concurrent use by enforcing access locking and consistency across the different resources in a project.

A ".DRP" file is a kind of "frozen" stand-alone version of a project that's been exported from the database. The reason you can't just fire Resolve up from it is that while Resolve can understand the ".DRP" file contents, double-clicking the file doesn't give it any information about which database Resolve should be using as it's live store. And without the database, Resolve can't do anything.

What you need to do is just run Resolve, select the database you want to use, and then import the DRP file into the database. To do this, right-click in the right-hand part of the project manager window (the part that shows thumbnails of the projects) and select "Import Project". Once you've imported it into the database you can open it in Resolve.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

ThunderCatatonic

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 5:03 am

So, if I'm not able to locate the db I can't open the project files?

Are the projects still accessible?

I'm not sure where the db went. I clicked on an update but everything disappeared from any of the folders where I had things stored. Then, I switched all my info to a different drive trying to sort this whole mess out.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 7:24 am

You need to find the DB.. the FAQs describe the two places Resolve would put them if it made the decision so start there.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

ThunderCatatonic

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 3:28 pm

I checked the FAQ but it's forum posting related info. Which FAQ were you referring to?

Uli Plank

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 3:37 pm

This: "FAQs for Support and Troubleshooting" and scroll down.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Charles Bennett

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 5:21 pm

When you open Resolve do you not see this page? These are your Projects and if you hover the mouse curser over the database name it will give you the full path.
Project and Database Screen.jpg
Project and Database Screen.jpg (147.28 KiB) Viewed 791 times

Did you update Resolve from 16.xx to 17.xx? The database in version 16 is not compatible with 17 and vice versa. If you didn't do the database update for 17, you need to save a copy of the vers 16 database just in case you wish to go back.
Best way is to re-install version 16.xx and do an export of the database and keep it safe. Then re-install vers 17 and update the database when prompted to do so.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

ThunderCatatonic

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 5:28 pm

I thought I was doing an update from 17.3 to 17.4. Now the database page where it shows the various databases (databasi?) is refreshed, as if I set it up for the first time.

I'm not able to locate any of my previous db's. Only where the project files are located which is all in the same location as before the update. However, the version I'm still operating on is 17.3. The update didn't take and I deleted the zip files out of my download folder before attempting to open them.

That's pretty much the whole story. Now everything is wonked out of control and I haven't been able to work on the projects since.

Sean Nelson

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 10:15 pm

ThunderCatatonic wrote:I'm not able to locate any of my previous db's.

If you have a ".DRP" file, you don't need the old DB - you just need A DB, any DB will do. If you get the project manager dialogue box, you can right-click in the right-hand pane as I described in my post above and import the ".DRP" file into whatever DB you've got open. Then you can go ahead and work on the project.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

John Paines

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 11:03 pm

From your explanation it's impossible to know what you did and which databases, if any, are still on disk. You also mention a failed update, which may be why the system can't find the old database. "That's pretty much the whole story" is no a story at all.

The database is a series of nested folders, which you can open and whose contents you can examine. What you need to do is use the operating system to look for the last working database, the one with the project files in it -- assuming you didn't delete it. Search the disk for a folder named "Projects". You may find more than one instance. But if you open that folder and see folders with the names of your past projects, that's the database you want. Go backwards through the file structure to find the database parent folder and note its name and location. After you've made copies of that folder for safety, refer to the manual for instructions on how to connect it to your current working version of Resolve.

ThunderCatatonic

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 10:06 pm

I finally got the project file back by copy/paste project files into the new db folder. However, aside from a few unlinked files, which is manageable, I lost my saved audio presets. I'm assuming this is because they are linked to the old db and not the project files? This is happening in a project wherein all the files are present except the effects preset. Any idea where these are saved? What folder maybe? To see if I can find the old one and relink.

ThunderCatatonic

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 12:28 am

Call off the search boys, we got 'er done! All up and running. Much appreciated for the assistance.

Return to DaVinci Resolve