Recover a Project that is crashing on opening?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bill5ter

Recover a Project that is crashing on opening?

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 4:46 pm

Hi All,

ive been playing with more of the Character Level Styling (added it correctly this time) and whilst I added some glow effects to my text node DR crashed ( i was able to play with some of the settings).

I re-started and opened the project again...it loads, shows the node tree and then crashes a few seconds later. Everytime I open this project it crashes again.

Does anyone know how I can recover the work I have performed?

Getting tired of the bugs in this application now :(

Thanks,

Billy

Heres a quick video of what is happening:-

TheBloke

Re: Recover a Project that is crashing on opening?

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 5:38 pm

For the future, turn on Project Backups in Preferences. Then Resolve will save a backup of the project, in a separate location, every X minutes (I have it set to 10 minutes) and you can always recover from a situation like this.

For this project, export it as a DRP (you can do this by right-clicking on the project in the Project Manager - the window that appears when you launch Resolve, and choosing Export Project) and upload it to a file sharing site like Google Drive or Dropbox. I'll have a look and see if I can rescue it. Or you may be able to upload it here if you rename it .ZIP, and if it's smaller than 1 or 2MB (I forget which.)
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

bill5ter

PostSun Dec 05, 2021 7:06 pm

Thanks for that. Im getting some unusal results now.

1 - I updated my Nvidia drivers to the latest game ready drivers. I then managed to open the project successfully so I thought i was ok. Made some changes saved the file. All was good.

2 - went and had some tea, came back and couldnt open the project again. Same issues. So I then installed the Nvidia studio drivers. I managed to then open the project succesfully again. Ive made some changes buit wonder what happens when I come back to it tomorrow or later (after Ive watched the Formula 1)?

We shall see ...sigh

Marc Wielage

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 1:50 am

bill5ter wrote:I re-started and opened the project again...it loads, shows the node tree and then crashes a few seconds later. Everytime I open this project it crashes again.

Which hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, disk I/O speed)? What specific version of Resolve? What OS? What source file codec? What timeline resolution? What framerate? How does your drive rate with Blackmagic Speed Test? Which GPU drivers are installed? What format are you trying to render to?

Worst case, if you can at least get Resolve to launch and bring up a Project Manager, you might be able to export that project to an external drive, then import that project back under another name and open that. If you're trying to do complex Fusion effects, be warned you need a pretty hefty level of hardware to do that.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

bill5ter

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 5:48 pm

bill5ter wrote:Which hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, disk I/O speed)? What specific version of Resolve? What OS? What source file codec? What timeline resolution? What framerate? How does your drive rate with Blackmagic Speed Test? Which GPU drivers are installed? What format are you trying to render to?

What use is this ? OK - version of DR, Drivers and OS may help a Blackmagic resource.Do you work for BM?

The issue as stated was intermittent at best and looked to be DR version and Nvidia driver related. The bit rate, codec, timeline and the other request is of no use here. It worked...then it didnt ...then it worked ...and then it didnt. How is gods name would the framerate cause an issue?

bill5ter

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 8:36 am

In the hope that this post may help somebody who has the same trouble, I fixed it by following this simple process:

1-Create a secondary login on your PC - this is for Windows 10
2-Export the offending project archive from the project screen
3-Login to your PC with the new user and run Davinci Resolve. This should be to a nice clean DB
4-Import the Project archive

The project will now load and DR wont crash. Im now contemplating doing all of my projects now aand going to a new clean DB (as im concerned that the DB may have an issue , not sure yet). Ill let you know how I get on with this.

Return to DaVinci Resolve