XML to FCPX Audio Track Errors

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jeremey Shelton

XML to FCPX Audio Track Errors

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 2:53 pm

Good morning!

So I've tried natively editing my first project within Resolve 17 Studio instead of my typical cutting in FCPX and just doing the color within Resolve and now I'm wishing I didn't :)

The main issue I am running into is that since I have essentially cut everything within Resolve at this point, I'd like to kick out an XML to take into FCPX to fine-tune the edit and mostly do the audio mix BUT when I import the XML into FCPX the music track is not even present even though ALL I can hear is the music and cannot hear the dialogue at all. However the waveforms for the dialogue are present and can be seen and not heard but again, no music track or waveforms can be seen but it's all that can be heard.

The above is my main issue but for those curious, the reason I want to get back into FCPX for editing is Resolve is just plain painful for me to directly edit in. I get a "spinning beachball" every time I want to change timelines for 5-10 seconds (sometime more), the audio mixing is extremely frustrating and when I try to apply certain audio plugins it crashes Resolve and the workarounds to achieve smooth playback are time-consuming but necessary when trying to edit interviews. FCPX, for me, is just faster and I really wanted to switch over to Resolve to cut down on multiple renders, especially for large file sizes / projects, etc.

My system is....
MacOS 11.6.1
Resolve Studio 17.4.2
Mac Pro (2019)
3.3GHz 12-core
128gb RAM
2 x Radeon Pro W5700X 16gb
Storage is a QNAP NAS and disk speed checks show ~725MB/s Write & ~1000MB/s Read

Andy Mees

Re: XML to FCPX Audio Track Errors

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 3:04 pm

Fingers crossed you get the assistance you need Jeremey, but bear in mind you're essentially asking for help with your FCPX audio settings in a Resolve forum... if you haven't done so already, you might want to cover your bases and ask for assistance on a FCP X forum eg fcp.co
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Jeremey Shelton

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 5:02 pm

Can do! Hopefully it is not one of those things where both “point the finger at the other guy” so you’re caught in an endless loop and can never get the answer because there’s obviously a problem somewhere. Either in Resolve’s XML export or how FCPX is interpreting it.

Andy Mees

PostMon Dec 06, 2021 6:34 pm

Understood... was just going by the datapoints you mentioned ie you said that after importing the XML you could see the dialogue waveforms (so clearly it's been translated correctly, as xml interchange doesn't transfer waveform cache data) but you couldn't hear it (which suggests a patching issue on the FCP X end of things) ...and you said you could hear the music (so clearly the music is linked even if its not clear to you yet how and where) ... pure guesswork but I'd imagine its a combination of track source assignment and your FCP X roles vs lanes setup ... but its years since i last played with FCPX and, as I no longer have it on my Mac, I don't have a clue where to properly suggest you start looking.

If it helps at all, Resolve to Premiere using FCP Classic XML interchange worked well enough the last time I had to do it, but appreciate that FCPXML is a different beast... that said, when working with interchange, stereo audio in application A represented as dual mono audio in XML (thus interpreted as such by application B) isn't uncommon... and track source patching needed manual intervention was never uncommon for me too regardless of which app I was coming from or going to (eg reassigning source channels where, via interchange, application B had maybe auto-relinked channels incorrectly)... but nothing was ever missing that couldn't easily be explained.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Return to DaVinci Resolve