Upgrading on Mac(s) from very old versions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sam Steti

Upgrading on Mac(s) from very old versions

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 3:58 pm

Hey,

I've been off this board for a while, busy on compositing a lot (mainly on Fusion studio, of course ;) ) and on other pro stuff, but I'm happy to post again here :)

Now, I have to update different computers there and fro (probably 6 or 7) for co-workers and I, and I don't want to waste time with what I could have previously got around. What's at stake is some hardwares will be stuck on their last available OSX versions, some not, some are on nVidia GPUs and finally some are M1 MBP and mini(s)... See ? 8-)
But my goal here is not to bother you with Apple poor restrictions I can easily manage, but ask for good practices specifically to install the databases on the new macs, given that those I'd like to focus on are the new ones (the other are still on ... Resolve 15 ! and therefore won't qualify for an update; moreover they work fine so no need there).

I think there was some kind of guidance, presumably from Dwaine ?, and can't remember to find this so :
-Is there still a specific M1 Resolve Studio version or it's over and I just choose the last macos version ?
-Things to think about when installing everything on a M1 for the 1st time ?
-BTW, just a little off-topic : is it ok to put older machines part of the network for Fusion render node app ?

Thx in advance anyway
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Uli Plank

Re: Upgrading on Mac(s) from very old versions

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 1:54 am

- The native M1 version is combined with the Intel version now (universal binary).
- Nothing special, my M1 installations worked perfectly fine from the start. Old databases need to be updated, which DR is offering automatically, but you can't go back.

I don't know about Fusion render nodes, you may need to try.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Sam Steti

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 8:26 am

Thx Uli,

Ok, great to read Rosetta is not involved here (though efficient elsewhere, I prefer a native ARM app here).

Now, one last tricky question, even if I can figure out an answer, let's try anyway : is there any WF and configuration allowing a Resolve 15 to work on the same DB than a Resolve 17.x ? :mrgreen:

Uli Plank

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 9:43 am

I don’t think so. If you need to shuttle just edits back and forth, the only possibility might be XML.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 9:44 am

Sam Steti wrote:Now, one last tricky question, even if I can figure out an answer, let's try anyway : is there any WF and configuration allowing a Resolve 15 to work on the same DB than a Resolve 17.x ? :mrgreen:

No, there are huge database changes between 15, 16, and 17. Can't go back. You can do a dual-boot system and run Resolve 15 on one (with a separate database) and Resolve 17 on the other side (with an updated Resolve 17 database), but they can't both draw from the same database.

There is a point where you have to jump off the diving board and go into the deep end. You can't keep dog-paddling in the shallow end forever. We figure out a slow time of the year and plan to take 2-3 days off getting all the systems switched over and just go for it. And we back everything up on the (very small) chance we have to revert to the previous version and/or OS.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Sam Steti

Re: Upgrading old and different Mac(s) within a team

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 11:08 am

Haha, Hi Marc, thx for your answer,

As you probably understood, I didn't really bet on the fact they really could "both draw from the same database", but hey, it was a better way to talk about that...

And it's not about remaining stuck on purpose, I personally keep on evolving with versions - though I've been more busy into Fusion and Nuke for almost a whole year now - but we're thinking about updating a network of freelance coworkers, and obviously the weakest link determines the strength of the whole pack, so those who wish (usually for economic reasons) to stay on their system for a while will be given jobs that won't slow projects down...

I have a new macpro, an old macpro and a mac mini now at different locations, and allocate jobs depending on these locations and systems. This is just me.
Now I'd like to go on by adding my coworkers profiles with the same philosophy. This is the main difference with a studio and I have to deal with.
BTW I realize the topic subject is not good, I'm more writing about the considerations of having to upgrade a bunch of different computers to keep everything ok... (because "everyone must have an up-to-date system and the last Resolve by January the 10th or f*** o**" is not an option... though it would be soooo handy of course :) )

Anyway thx again for you input, and to anyone else, feel free to suggest :ugeek:

Uli Plank

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 1:13 pm

Dual boots for those who have modern machines seems like a good solution. You'll just need to find a way to organise the tasks in a way that you don't need to revert databases (which can't be done).

Sam Steti

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 3:17 pm

Thx everybody for your inputs and lights...
@Uli : But I'll keep new machines off dual boots, I decided it was time to put an end to the waste of HD room as we did to keep a system able to perform outdated actions (like keeping an old 10.8 just to keep DVD SP alive for example).

Older machines will definitely perform what's available for them (tracking for ee.) and provide data for new ones. If really necessary, we'll render out new ProRes master files to be ingested in finishing ones.

Thx again.

Uli Plank

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 4:20 am

We also kept one machine for DVD SP.
It's a good program and some clients are still asking for DVDs, as strange as it sounds.

Return to DaVinci Resolve