I need advice for Budget color grading monitor

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

worlrl24

I need advice for Budget color grading monitor

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 4:11 pm

Hi.
I need advice about buying a new monitor for color grading and general video editing.
im confused about which elemnt in the monitor i need to focus on since i dont have a big budget.
Im currently editing a student film and suppose to collor grade it later on. from my understanding in a cinema the projection is in dcip3.
also my main work is short commercials for sociall media which i shoot with my fujifillm xt4.
from my research i understand that a true color grading can only be done with expansive setup, suitiable room and so on. and even then its hard to get a true color reproduction for professionall color grading.
so i need to be realistic and understand what will be the best monitor for my use which willl be good enough.
i currently using 1080P 6bit + frc monitor which is horiable for any use case.
i need to choose between higher definition larger screen with less gamut covrage or sticking to 1080p but with 10 bit and 100% gamut.

if illl edit on srgb screen its like rec709? if i need to exxport indcip3 and edit on another color space what will be the result?
i want to get better in colorgrading and the qquestion is if the monitor is really that important or llike with photography, its the man not the equipment? (not entirly)
specific recomandtion will be great for around 400$ .
and sorry on the bad english

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: I need advice for Budget color grading monitor

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 7:58 am

moved to Resolve forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

Re: I need advice for Budget color grading monitor

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 9:47 am

"Budget" and "Grading Monitor" don't go well into the same sentence.

Here's some possible options:

https://jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-and-video ... onitors-2/
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve