Speed Editor Video Lag and Sound Rumble

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Multi4G

Speed Editor Video Lag and Sound Rumble

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 11:32 am

Hi all,

I just got my Speed Editor and really like it. However I experience
1) more video lagging than with my mouse when using it. Even on 1080p the video is not playing smooth all of the time.
2) Also the Audio has quite a lot of rumble when using jog function, so it is very hard to hear what i'm saying, even when going slow.

I googled several Videos on how to make the Video smoother using cached video and such, but since my mouse does not have these problems, there should be a way to resolve this without having to render optimized files and such - for 1080p no less with no effects on it. The files are on a SSD with around 550mb/s read write

Any idea how i could slove this?

My hardware should be quite good for it:
Intel Core i7-8700
16 GB RAM
Geforce GTX 1660
Windows 11
Newest Updates on all Drivers
Newest Updates on Davinci Resolve Studio and Speed Editor Firmware

Charles Bennett

Re: Speed Editor Video Lag and Sound Rumble

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 9:47 pm

You should not have any lag with either your mouse or the Speed Editor. That is not normal. What is the source of your footage, it's codec and framerate?

I can possibly address the low frequency rumble when using jog. It would usually mean you have noise in your recording which, at a normal playback speed, you do not hear or notice. In Jog mode you are moving through the audio at a much lower speed so lowering the frequency to an audible, and in this case annoying level. If the low frequency rumble is that bad you must have quite a loud noise source where you are recording such as air conditioning.
You could try using a high pass filter on the voice track whilst you edit. Getting to the root cause of the noise is what you really need to do.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Multi4G

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 11:00 am

Thank you!
I mostly record Videos with OBS for my tutorials. Here is a codec Screenshot:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AgsYLYgUYxcVndRo7
Also i create Videos with a Gopro Max and a Gopro 10 on occasion:
GoPro Max: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9odRFERvM3Ww7kqr6
GoPro 10: https://photos.app.goo.gl/visxNz2iHdLkjY3o7

I keep the timeline in 1080p in any case during editing to keep the playback smooth.
This worked great on the free version of DR, but the Studio Version doesn't run as smooth from some reason.
I'm considering buying a extra SSD, just for DR, but not sure if that helps.

Multi4G

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 10:48 pm

Thank you. At least my Studio Recording shouldn't have any noise in it. The sound is good when I am using jog in the Audio Tab (can't remember the name of that), so I assume it has something todo with the time-warp of the audio to keep the pitch the same while using jog on the video

For Codecs I have mainly 3 Sources of Video
OBS
tut-codec.png
tut-codec.png (15.89 KiB) Viewed 664 times

GoPro Max in Hero Mode
codec 2.png
codec 2.png (22.26 KiB) Viewed 664 times

Gopro 10
codec 3.png
codec 3.png (16.61 KiB) Viewed 664 times

I suppose they should be ok, because so many people today film with gopros, but i might be wrong. And the Free Version as well as the mouse seems to have less problems. then again jog might need to show more images. I don't know.
Any Ideas what i could do? I suppose buying a extra SSD for video wouldn't help when I'm already on a SSD

Multi4G

PostSun Dec 12, 2021 1:45 am

Hi Charels, I would love to respond to you, but my replies are not getting approved - not sure what to do about that. I already mailed Blackmagic and didn't get any Resources as to why my reply to you is not approved.

Charles Bennett

PostSun Dec 12, 2021 9:46 am

Posts from new users do take a little time to get approved. Your posts are showing in the forum.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Multi4G

PostSun Dec 12, 2021 2:23 pm

Awesome, finally! :)
I also made a SSD Benchmark for you an cleared around 120GB from the drive to see if that helps.
One of the random read/write tests is very slow, but other than that, I think my disk should be good enough. Any other suggestions how I could improve this?
bench.png
bench.png (25.08 KiB) Viewed 594 times

Multi4G

PostFri Dec 17, 2021 3:15 pm

I installed an additional 32GB Ram and that seems to have solved the Video Lag and audio problems , which is strange, because Task Manager shows me that it's only using 3GB of that RAM.

Thank you for your help

Return to DaVinci Resolve