Fixed: No Audio-Recording with Behringer Mixer in Fairlight

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SandUKa

• Location: Lower Saxony, Germany (currently Western Australia)

Fixed: No Audio-Recording with Behringer Mixer in Fairlight

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 4:46 pm

Hi everyone, I hope to find help here. I have a Behringer X-Air 18 mixer that is connected to a Mac Mini via USB. I'm desperately trying to create an audio recording in Fairlight. As far as I understand, I set the patching correctly.
Audio-Patching.png
Audio-Patching.png (44.67 KiB) Viewed 851 times

A recording is made in the audio track, but it is empty. Nothing is visible in the level meters, either. If I use the GarageBand software installed as standard in the Mac-Os, I can access the same X-Air-18 connections that are shown to me in Fairlight patching. . And there I can record, it works.
If I specify a very cheap USB sound card connected to the Mac Mini in Davinci as an audio device in the preferences, then I get a recording with content.
Davinci-Preferences.png
Davinci-Preferences.png (92.59 KiB) Viewed 851 times

When I select the X-Air-18, I can choose the channels when patching, but I don't get any content in the recording. Do you know anything about compatibility with USB sound devices?
Thank you for your advice and your support.

With best regards and everyone stays healthy
Stefan
Last edited by SandUKa on Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mac MINI M1 (macOS Ventura) | 16 GB RAM | Davinci Resolve Studio 18.x | ATEM Mini Extreme (ATEM Software Control 8.6.1 ) | Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus | UltraStudio Monitor+Micro Converter BiDirect 3G | iPad Pro 11“ | Davinci Resolve for iPad

Reynaud Venter

Re: No Audio-Recording with Behringer Mixer in Fairlight

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 6:40 am

Is an adaptor in use with the X-Air 18 to convert the USB Type B to Type C?

No format mismatch between macOS AMS and the Resolve Timeline (assume both are running at 48k)?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

SandUKa

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 11:54 am

Hi Reynaud,
many thanks for your response. I've checked all the settings and they seem to be correct. In MacOS AMS, I can even change a setting on the X-Air 18 (please also take a look at the screenshot of the settings. I'm sorry, but it's a German-language operating system).
AMS-Settings.png
AMS-Settings.png (111.54 KiB) Viewed 529 times

The mixer itself is correctly set to 48K. Also the timeline in Resolve.
Unfortunately, I (still) have very little experience with MAC OS. Have only been working with it for a while. In the past I have worked more with Windows.
Oh yes: The cable. It goes directly from the X-Air18 (USB-B to USB-A) to the MAC.

Regards
Stefan
Mac MINI M1 (macOS Ventura) | 16 GB RAM | Davinci Resolve Studio 18.x | ATEM Mini Extreme (ATEM Software Control 8.6.1 ) | Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus | UltraStudio Monitor+Micro Converter BiDirect 3G | iPad Pro 11“ | Davinci Resolve for iPad

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 12:12 pm

In AMS right click the X18/XR18 item in the device list and select "Use This Device For Sound Input".
Is input signal now reflected within Resolve for the armed Track?

From Resolve's Fairlight menu enable either "Input" or "Auto" from the Input Monitor Style sub-menu.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

SandUKa

Re: Fixed: No Audio-Recording with Behringer Mixer in Fairli

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 2:21 pm

Hi Reynaud. I was sure that I had already tried that too. However, via the menu at the top right in Mac OS. Now that I have done this in the ASM as you described, everything works.
Many, many thanks :)

Best wishes from Germany
Stefan

Return to DaVinci Resolve