Advanced Subtitle Preset/Macro for DR?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

rnbaker

Advanced Subtitle Preset/Macro for DR?

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 5:53 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know of anything like this for DR? The video in the link best shows what it is and it is only a little over a minute long...

https://elements.envato.com/subtitles-toolkit-N8M4RRT

Thanks!

EDIT: Or, like this? I just found this after my initial post... https://elements.envato.com/easy-subtitle-62ATYXJ

Andy Mees

Re: Advanced Subtitle Preset/Macro for DR?

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 6:46 pm

If you just want to convert plain text to an srt that you can load into a timeline and spot as necessary then you can use my page here: https://sites.google.com/view/text2srt/home ... it just flips plain text into srt formatted text (one subtitle per line) ... copy the result into a plain text file, save it with an srt extension and import it into Resolve. I dare say I could wrap it as a workflow extension but am usually a bit too busy with the day job ... maybe over Christmas.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

rnbaker

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 8:02 pm

Andy Mees wrote:If you just want to convert plain text to an srt that you can load into a timeline and spot as necessary then you can use my page here: https://sites.google.com/view/text2srt/home ... it just flips plain text into srt formatted text (one subtitle per line) ... copy the result into a plain text file, save it with an srt extension and import it into Resolve. I dare say I could wrap it as a workflow extension but am usually a bit too busy with the day job ... maybe over Christmas.

Thanks but I think I am looking for something a bit more complex. I would like to have backgrounds that automatically adjust to the size of the text (and move along with the text), timing adjustments (easy to sync to speaking and singing), various in and out animation options, etc., etc.

To be honest, I would like something like both of those add-on's combined (or even more complex than those two combined) which would give me tons of flexibility with quite a few options depending on what I need for a given project.

And, really, more important than how complicated the add-on or whatever is, I really am just looking for something good at a good price (under $100 and hopefully under $50) that exists already or even combine 2-4 add-on's, title packs, presets, macros, and/or whatever to get what I need. Thanks again.

Andy Mees

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 11:03 pm

rnbaker wrote:I would like to have backgrounds that automatically adjust to the size of the text (and move along with the text),

Thats handled in Resolve with the built in Style > Background setting.
rnbaker wrote: various in and out animation options, etc., etc.

Text animation isn't a function of subtitles / captioning ... when thats what you need you've crossed over into 'titling' rather than subtitling. It's a different category and handled in Resolve using the Text and Text+ Titles (Effects > Toolbox > Titles) at the basic level, and within the Fusion page at a more advanced level. I'm not aware of any tilting plugins specifically for what you're looking to do but you could have a look at the NewBlue website and maybe motionVFX. I think they both make some titling plugins that work with Resolve.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

rnbaker

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 2:12 am

Andy Mees wrote:Text animation isn't a function of subtitles / captioning ... when thats what you need you've crossed over into 'titling' rather than subtitling.

Very true and that second tool was basically converting subtitles into titles. I wasn't thinking about the technical side as much as I was was thinking about my needs (or most of my needs in that I was mainly going to use them as "subtitles" for some of my videos even though they are not technically subtitles) but also that is why I put 'Advanced' in the title to separate it from normal subtitles but regardless you are still correct "titling" is much more appropriate.

I have checked out motionVFX before but I will again because they are always adding new things but I have never checked out NewBlue though. Thanks.

All of that said, does anyone know of anything specific that might have the text animation functions that I need? Thanks.

Return to DaVinci Resolve