Problem Saving in 17.4+ when using iZotope plugins

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tristan Pemberton

Problem Saving in 17.4+ when using iZotope plugins

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 12:59 am

This issue was covered in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=151089

Even though that topic was labeled <SOLVED> I'm still having a problem.

It happens whenever I add or delete an iZotope RX plugin from the Fairlight page. The save function no longer works. Even if I try to export the project, and get prompted to save before export, nothing happens. The program runs as normal, but no longer saves any progress. The only way to save is by doing a force quit, reopening and starting again.

It's quite random. Happens with AU & VST plugins. Any of the RX7, RX8 or RX9 plugins will set it off. And yet it doesn't always happen.

For me it started happening in DR 17.4.1. I rolled back to 17.4 as the problem went away. I've just upgraded to the latest 17.4.2 build 9 and now it's better, but still happens intermittently. I may just delete a plugin and that will cause the issue. Crash out of the program, open the same project & timeline, delete the same plugin and it's fine.

I have rolled back to 17.4 until I'm certain the issue is fixed. So I can definitively say this is NOT SOLVED for me.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Reynaud Venter

Re: Problem Saving in 17.4+ when using iZotope plugins

PostThu Dec 09, 2021 6:26 am

Consider including a system spec in your signature: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190

Is this issue specific to the iZotope RX suite of plugins on your system?

Resolve Projects save without issue with iZotope RX suite plugins with versions 7 Adv, 8 Adv, and 9 Adv on the systems here.

Not reproducing issues saving Projects with VST2.4, VST3 and AU plugins.

Is this behaviour Project specific or universal?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Tristan Pemberton

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 12:17 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:Is this behaviour Project specific or universal?

It appears universal as the issue seems to occur across projects. Existing, or new.

Reynaud Venter wrote:Is this issue specific to the iZotope RX suite of plugins on your system?

I've only encountered the issue with RX plugins, but then they are the only 3rd party plugins installed on my system.

Reynaud Venter wrote:Consider including a system spec....

Some more info about my system...

Resolve 17.4.1 & 17.4.2 build 9 (when issues occurred) - Stable at 17.4 build 12
MacOS 10.14.6
MacPro 5,1 12-core 3.46 GHz 64 GB RAM
2 x Radeon VII
BMD DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
Desktop Video 11.6

Thanks Reynaud.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Reynaud Venter

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 4:18 pm

Tristan Pemberton wrote:I've only encountered the issue with RX plugins, but then they are the only 3rd party plugins installed on my system.
Behaviour also present with the VST3 format or is behaviour isolated to the VST2.4 and Audio Units plugins?

Do the default macOS bundled Apple AU plugins have the same behaviour?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Tristan Pemberton

PostSun Dec 12, 2021 10:14 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:
Tristan Pemberton wrote:I've only encountered the issue with RX plugins, but then they are the only 3rd party plugins installed on my system.
Behaviour also present with the VST3 format or is behaviour isolated to the VST2.4 and Audio Units plugins?

Do the default macOS bundled Apple AU plugins have the same behaviour?

No, it only occurs with the RX plugins. I've only installed VST3 and AU. Seems to occur with both, and my usual practise it to choose AU over VST (for native compatibility).
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Tristan Pemberton

PostMon Dec 13, 2021 10:48 pm

As a test, I've just booted into my Catalina partition (10.15.5) and installed DR 17.4.2 build 9, and I'm still getting weird errors. And it's quite random as sometimes it take a while for the error to propagate.

I successfully added RX 9 Voice De-noise to mono track in Fairlight. Exported the file from the delivery page. Now, after the render is complete, I cannot save the project any more. If I try to export (File>Export), it prompts for me to save, but it never saves. The prompt window disappears, and nothing happens. Now the "Edited" warning has changed from grey to light green, and then red but saving does nothing. I have to crash out of the program to get the save function again.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Reynaud Venter

PostTue Dec 14, 2021 5:48 am

Is Live Save enabled? Is the Project Backups preference enabled?

Tristan Pemberton

PostWed Dec 15, 2021 12:27 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:Is Live Save enabled? Is the Project Backups preference enabled?

"Live Save" is not enabled. Project Backups is enabled. Set to every 10mins.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Tristan Pemberton

PostWed Dec 22, 2021 4:17 am

I think I may have solved the issue.

RX3 plugins were still installed on my system.

After completely removing RX3 and any related files - including in the ~/User/Library and /Library folders (IE. Application Support, Audio etc) - the error seems to have stopped occurring.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Deesen

PostWed Feb 16, 2022 7:52 am

Hi, I also have the same issue with Izotope RX8 and RX9, and with latest DaVinci 17.4.3. That´s why I ended up here.

Some RX-plugins do work, like "Breath Control". But others like "Voice De-Noise" do block the save-mechanismn.

First I found out that by just removing the particular plugin, I can save the project again.

Then I found out that by just clicking on the Fairlight-timeline and changing position of the marker, I can save again, with activated RX "Voice De-Noise" etc. Also plugin-settings are remembered correctly when reloading the project, so all is fine.

2 days ago I force-quitted DaVinci and lost work, because I could not save :roll: ..

Return to DaVinci Resolve