Creating new project still crashes R 17.4.2

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

steve oakley

Creating new project still crashes R 17.4.2

PostThu Dec 16, 2021 2:39 am

I really thought this had been fixed as I had reported this before under prev version of R -
OS 12.1 release
R 17.4.2

With any project open, hit the house icon to bring up project window
hit new project button
give it name with regular a-z chars
hit ok
instant vanish / crash. no crash log. 100% repeatable. Worse project created isn't always there, not even as untitled, so effectively you can not. create a new project.

Ok, it will show up as untitled, but you can't rename it. Ok, open up any other project, fine. Back to project window and now untitled is gone.

More fun : if you have a backup db in you user folder and try to switch to that instant crash too. seems like this may be a problem, with R not being able to write to /users/myaccount ... which may be by design s I DONT want R ever writing there. same for other apps because it fills your limited SSD up with tons of junk,

checking security.orivacy R has full disc access si that shouldn't be the problem , but scrolling down only shows removable volumes and no way to add my_docs

Resolve log attached.

S
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20211215-203457.tgz
(212.2 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
S
mac Studio Ultra 128gb OS 13.5+
TB3 ext 1TB SSD Cache, 1TB SSD Sys
4K 27Dell
Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3 Word clocked 96K
MiniPanel via enet
Behinger Xtouch USB via USB3 Hub->PCIe USB3X4 card
Wacom XL Pro

Uli Plank

Re: Creating new project still crashes R 17.4.2

PostSat Dec 18, 2021 2:01 am

I can't reproduce that here, works as expected.
What happens if you make a fresh database and try tose steps?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

steve oakley

PostWed Jan 12, 2022 4:55 am

Uli Plank wrote:I can't reproduce that here, works as expected.
What happens if you make a fresh database and try tose steps?

Ok, had some time to mess with this again. I created and switched to new DB ok. I also got network DB server up and running which works.

So I imported an old R15 project into R17.4.3 in new local db. Onlined the media, some small fixes, exported. went ok including quit and open R several times.

tried to switch orignal project to check some things in same db, and Crash/vanish.

trying to switch back to other db's from the new one is again, instant crash / vanish.

primary log shows nothing interesting but I'll post it if some one from BMD will look at it and lend at hand at trying to get this figured out.

The Project server has an Optimize clearner function. anything like that in the normal ver of R ? hidden terminal command or something ?

S
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

steve oakley

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 12:04 am

Update : I may of sort of fixed this.

I manually removed a bunch of projects from the diskdb folder to another one outside of it

R still acted weird - it wouldn't switch over or select the db files. went through several app starts

did full uninstall / reinstall today.

later I tried the same drill because I can mess wtih it again, now it works. I can switch to the other local Db's, but they are basically empty. had to manually restore the projects from backups. I could NOT bring the .db files in :( . Guess : some clean up and rebuild routine got triggered with the changes and reinstall. I had also tried to import the .db files. so no idea how I really fixed this, just that this messing around seemed to clear the problem.
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

Return to DaVinci Resolve