Still Images Crashing DR 17

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Matt White

Still Images Crashing DR 17

PostMon Jan 10, 2022 9:48 pm

We have a project that requires working with a lot of still images. The aim is to use slightly larger than 4k images, and have subtle moves on them. DR and our system should handle this easily.

Simply opening the Media page to browse the stills causes DR to crash. Sometimes the thumbnails will not load. Sometimes there is a GPU Memory full error code. This is without touching any stills or even loading them into the project.

Sometimes we can get the stills into the project and work with them. Usually, DR will just crash.

GPU driver is 511.09.

raphaelgoesm

Re: Still Images Crashing DR 17

PostMon Jan 10, 2022 10:13 pm

In my experience, I find that DR is very sensitive not only to image dimensions, but also to DPI. One thing you can check is that the photos are at 72 DPI. Anything above that, on my machine, causes DR to crash on the fly.

Matt White

PostMon Jan 10, 2022 11:31 pm

Yes, that is true. It also does not like any colorspace other than RGB.

The short term and rather annoying solution is to not use DR to browse for media to import. If DR is pointed to any folder with images it does not like, it will crash.

Matt White

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 12:34 am

Driver 511.17

Importing 4k RGB pngs crashes DR. Over and over. Restarting helps for a few minutes, but not for long.

DR can handle 12k video files, but not still images?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 1:57 am

please post a sample still that crashes your system
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Matt White

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 3:11 pm

Hi Peter,

Sure. Two examples, same behavior.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yfixd43hfc0k ... n.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9p7ca5zw6pgmg ... 2.png?dl=0

As a test we put these two in their own folder to import them, and they work fine. The issues occur when browsing the folder in our system image library. Our guess is that there is an image in that folder with a resolution or color space that DR doesnt like, and it is causing an error for DR.

Yasir Salah

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 6:44 pm

Hi
In my experience, using smaller files is best, Tiff-16 bits produces larger file, it has more color information, while PNG-24 is sufficient and smaller file.

make sure they are all images are RGB, (DR will not see a CMYK anyway,It will say missing media).

I tried to work with both of you images you supplied; the Ark.png is set to 5000x2500 px.
I got the same quality results in DR if I converted them to 1920x960, any thing less than that you would notice the difference .
It takes a 20.9 MB files down to 3.3MB, if you have lots of photos, experiment with it.
I did not have any issue at all having 4 photos (made duplicates of your photos) on a 24 minutes video timeline, and navigated throughout all Resolve page DR 17.4.3, I am on a Mac, with 16 GB of ram.
From Photoshop
Attachments
Ark_export_Photoshop_sm.jpg
From Photoshop export to a smaller size 1920x960
Ark_export_Photoshop_sm.jpg (298.27 KiB) Viewed 1019 times

Matt White

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 7:50 pm

Thanks. The images are large because we are delivering in 4k, and we zoom in to move them around. Usually, this works without issue. As mentioned, we do not believe the image size is the issue, but other files in the folders that DR does not like.

Yasir Salah

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 10:44 pm

Hummm, well you have the right gear, and you have done it before.
Have you tried tiff files they will have a better image if you are zooming in and out. I understand what you are doing now; great photos btw.
Try with photoshop and export as tiff, they will be large files and might not crash. Create a new folder with few photos and see if they will crash Resolve. And try with PNG as well, with the same method described in the screen shot in last response.
Also, I’m not sure if I read correctly, did you try a new folder to copy all photos to it, not sure if it makes a difference; but you mentioned you think there few photos Resolve doesn’t like!
Let me know your progress.

Yasir

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 10:52 pm

Agreed that the files you sent work OK, and it seems likely that there is something else in the folder you are selecting, that Resolve doesn't like.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve