Linked audio channels not playing back

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

czohoori

Linked audio channels not playing back

PostMon Jan 10, 2022 10:57 pm

I am having a major issue with linked audio channels getting muted/not playing back, which is preventing me from making progress on an urgent editing project.

I am using the "Auto Sync Audio - based on timecode and append tracks" workflow. This seemed to be working great; I was able to accurately sync up a large number of clips using timecode (2 cameras with MXF video and embedded audio, separate WAV audio files with 1-5 channels each). These were playing back fine after editing them into the timeline; everything working as expected. After closing the project and returning to it after a few days, things are not working correctly. The “Synced Audio” metadata column is now empty for those clips (it had the correct audio name previously). I can still see the audio channels in the “Clip Attributes” for the video files, and they are correctly assigned as before, not muted. However, they are not playing back. In the timeline these clips no longer show waveforms on the linked audio channels. Only the embedded audio has waveforms and plays back.
Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 2.48.06 PM.png
Synced audio channels (tracks 2-5) show up correctly but do not play back
Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 2.48.06 PM.png (97.43 KiB) Viewed 425 times

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 2.49.59 PM.png
When edited into timeline, tracks show up but no playback still.
Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 2.49.59 PM.png (299.37 KiB) Viewed 425 times

I have confirmed the original audio files themselves are still online and have the correct audio channels as before, it is only the video files that I synced to them where the audio does not show up at all. Interestingly, when I select these audio files on their own, they are showing several channels muted that were not previously (everything except Ch1). This is true in the Media Pool as well as anywhere the audio clips are on timelines (ie the original audio clips, not linked to the video clips). I can reassign the channels and they behave correctly again, but it does not affect the video clips with linked audio channels.
Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 2.54.41 PM.png
Where audio clips are used on their own, everything except channel 1 has been muted after reopening project (I didn't do this).
Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 2.54.41 PM.png (651.09 KiB) Viewed 425 times

I am using a Proxy workflow, with camera-generated proxies attached in Resolve, and original audio files on the same drive. I have tried with the original footage both mounted and unmounted - no change.

I have tried using “Replace Selected Clip” on both the audio files and the video files - no change.

I have tried muting and unmuting the channels, unassigning and reassigning, etc. in the Clip Attributes window - no change.

I am able to use "Auto Sync Audio - based on timecode and append tracks" on the same set of clips again, and it again correctly appends the audio as expected. However, this creates new channels rather than replacing the old ones, and I would have to go through and manually update the channels for all clips in the timelines that I have already edited with. I also have no confidence that this issue wouldn’t come up again, meaning I would have to keep adding 4 additional audio channels every time it happens, which would get out of hand pretty fast.

I'd love to hear any possible solutions or workarounds. Happy to upload more screencaps or experiment with your ideas. Thank you!
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5.1 Build 6
macOS Ventura 13.6
Mac Studio, M2 Max with 12‑core CPU/38‑core GPU
96 GB RAM
Projects and Cache on internal SSD

Constantin Gross

Re: Linked audio channels not playing back

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 2:06 pm

Same issue, following

Return to DaVinci Resolve