Templates are not loading, only showing black screen

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

sdk407

Templates are not loading, only showing black screen

PostFri Jan 14, 2022 5:11 pm

Hello,

I've downloaded some animation templates for DR 17, but the playback is only ever showing a black screen. Sometimes, after a long time of having the project open, some parts appear but only a few of the elements, never the whole thing. The playback is not stuck and appears to play smoothly, it is just not showing anything (a missing "Media Out" node is not the problem). I have tried several things to optimize the performance like activating render cache, reducing playback resolution, activating proxies, render disk cache etc.
Nothing worked. I have tried this with multiple templates, they all have the same problem. Since comparable templates work fine in Premiere Pro regarding playback and rendering, I do not think my system performance is the problem. Since these are commercial templates from Envato Elements, I think I am not allowed to post them on here.

I'm working on a MacBook Pro 2021 with the Apple M1 Max processor.
Any help is gladly appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

jasonhanrahan

Re: Templates are not loading, only showing black screen

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 6:29 pm

I'm having the same issue with this template: https://elements.envato.com/event-promo-GE7KW2X

I replaced all the placeholder clips and cleared render cache, but it shows up as black media. If I go into the fusion comp and update each mediaIn node I got it to show up (mostly) but not entirely. Especially if the clip is nested within a few timelines.

I'm running it on an maxed out Intel iMac 2015... I also tried it on my MacbookPro Intel i7 but kept having the same issues on both. And much like you I've used comparable templates in premiere/after effects so I know its not my system.

Resolve also crashes a bunch of times when deleting the render cache. I'm supposed to deliver an edit by Friday. So far I've sat at a spinning beach ball and black media for two days.

Uli Plank

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 7:40 pm

Check the codec of that stuff with a tool like MediaInfo.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

jasonhanrahan

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 9:25 pm

How do you check the codec of a template file? I'd have to render it out, wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

jasonhanrahan

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 3:33 pm

I seem to have solved my issue, although it doesn't seem very efficient.

Within the template, I had to go into each fusion clip and replace the mediaIn node (placeholder clips) with a fresh one. Go back to each timeline clip that included the fusion comp and delete the render cache.

I found some media nodes in fusion have improper frame lengths or trim lengths. I still don't quite understand it but, so far it's working.

Uli Plank

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 2:17 am

Sorry, I assumed some placeholder content.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

jasonhanrahan

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 12:30 am

Just a final update in case anyone else has this issue.

In my case, this template had a ton of compound fusion clips, so the smart render cache, took a very long time to load everything. And even at that, I still had to replace some MediaIn Nodes and constantly delete render cache for each clip I updated.

During render, I encountered an issue where the footage wouldn't render... only text clips. After many failed render attempts, DaVinci crashed several times... I came across the Checkbox to use cached render images under Advanced settings in the Delivery page.

That checkbox not only rendered the footage, but also did it lightning fast. I still believe this template was not set up correctly.

Uli Plank

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 12:53 am

Thanks for telling about the solution, might be very helpful to others.

LeeLove

PostSun Apr 10, 2022 11:56 pm

BEWARE of Envato Davinci Resolve templates. I signed up exclusively because of the DR templates. And the video templates I downloaded worked great. But I have not been able to get a single slideshow template working.

They are all the same issue as described above. Black timeline, black rendering.

Envato even states they offer NO support for the templates they offer.

panos_mts

PostMon Apr 11, 2022 12:06 am

Usually the black screen problem appears when the font used in the template is missing.
You have to replace every missing font to get rid of the black screen, some title templates have multiple text fields, you have to check them one by one.

LeeLove

PostMon Apr 11, 2022 5:25 am

WOW WOW WOO I can't believe it was such a simple fix !!

Panos thank YOU !!!

(ok crap now I have to take back everything I said.) LOL

Skyzlmt

PostTue May 17, 2022 8:13 pm

If someone could help me step by step resolve the "black box for text" issue with envato, I will pay the first person $40 via paypal or venmo. yes it means that much to me.. more so for my sanity. ha

Ive read all these posts and cant grasp what I need to change. I've updates the font(s)
I am PC and I see by the help video they provide they created on Mac.

This "Excavator Opener DR" for example: https://videohive.net/item/excavator-opener-dr/33462379

I can "restore the project archive" and load into resolve. I see the core portion of the video

But where the editable text and then the logo are presented, I get black boxes.
Like this: https://imgur.com/a/jtwP2fG

I see that the font field was blank on load. I chang it to a valid font and in the media EDIT Text component I see the text.

But then I go back to Resolve Edit and play... big black box.
CyberPowerPC: Intel i7-9700k Nvidia 2700 Super 32GB

jhanzuro

PostThu May 26, 2022 4:29 pm

panos_mts wrote:Usually the black screen problem appears when the font used in the template is missing.
You have to replace every missing font to get rid of the black screen, some title templates have multiple text fields, you have to check them one by one.

This fixes the black screen problem. I think Davinci must have some warnings about this once you have loaded a composition... but whatever. Thank you Phanos.

RedgontheEndg

PostMon Jun 20, 2022 12:06 pm

What worked for me.

I had an issue with media offline when rendering the media, and the black screen on the timeline.

Under the advanced setting in Delivery is a 'use proxy media' box that deals with media offline situations. Also found the first 4 boxes of that array helps overall delivery efficiency.

For the black screen, they usually have placeholder files that need to be replaced with your media. The media is then linked to compounds. Those compounds glitch out (not the final compound, the compounds in the final compound), and I found opening each of them in Edit and dragging the various clips as if to resize them on the timeline relinks media for some reason. It's tedious but works for all the temples I've downloaded.

happytownstudios

PostThu May 25, 2023 3:10 am

Pantos nailed it on the envato problem. THANK YOU! just go into each text part and change the fonts and you're good to go!

Return to DaVinci Resolve