Issue with Select clip Forward

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sander de Regt

Issue with Select clip Forward

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 9:38 am

Hi, I'm trying to do this:

To select all clips forward of the playhead on the current track: Move the playhead to the first
clip you want to include in the selection, then press the Y key (Timeline > Select Clips Forward >
On This Track) to select that clip and every clip to its right in the same track of the Timeline.

But I can't get it to work consistently.

Does anyone know how to select the current track? I figured it would be based on clicking in for example clicking the empty space between clips or clicking the track header, but it appears to be based on what kind of clip is loaded in your source viewer.

For example: if I have an audio only clip loaded in the source viewer, it's impossible to use the 'select clip forward' option to select and move my clips. At least, I don't know how to do it. No matter if I click the header, the v1 button, the empty space on the track, Resolve will only select the audio clips on A1. I have no idea how to make v1 the 'current track' without loading a video clip from the media pool to make v1 (or v2 or whatever) active in the track selector.
Last edited by Sander de Regt on Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Andy Mees

Re: Issue with Select clip Forward - is it a bug?

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 10:53 am

Yep, I reported this bug in 2018, Sander... but we got a 'Boring Detector' instead, so theres that. :roll:

The problem, as I understand it, is that the Select All Clips Forward/Backward On This Track function is targeted using the orange track destination controls found in the Timeline header area... and manipulation of those controls is determined by whatever is currently in the Source Viewer.

The workaround is either to a) change what's in the Source Viewer to something that will let you target the track(s) you want, or b) use the Select All Clips Forward/Backward On All Tracks function instead... those functions are targeted using the Auto Track Selector controls (also found in the Timeline header area) rather than the track destination controls, whereby only tracks for which the Auto Track Selector status is enabled will be targeted.

The usual 'Auto Track Selector' cautionary note: changing the Auto Track Selector status of individual tracks can often lead to havoc later on, if you're not careful, as Auto Track Selector status is a powerful selection modifier that affects many different edit operations. Don't forget to reset the status once you've finished using it for targeting your specific operation. Forgive me, I know you know this, but someone else reading may not.

Hope it helps
Andy
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

John Paines

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 1:24 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:For example: if I have an audio only clip loaded in the source viewer, it's impossible to use the 'select clip forward' option to select and move my clips. At least, I don't know how to do it. No matter if I click the header, the v1 button, the empty space on the track, Resolve will only select the audio clips on A1. I have no idea how to make v1 the 'current track' without loading a video clip from the media pool to make v1 (or v2 or whatever) active in the track selector.

Assuming V1/A1are the tracks you want to select and both track headers are highlighted (red), the act of loading an audio file into source viewer will de-select V1. If you re-select it with the shortcut (alt-1), hitting "y" should select all clips on V1/A1 going forward. But clicking the v1 button won't work.

Sander de Regt

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 2:08 pm

@Andy Yup. That's the bug. And also exactly the description I would use.

@John ALT+1 doesn't do anything for me, but that wouldn't help either in my case, since I need to move over a bunch of title cards so I don't want the A1 to be selected. Just the stuff that's on the video track.
But as Andy pointed out in his Resolve 15 bug report, it's the content of the source viewer that determines the 'current track'.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

John Paines

Re: [BUG] Issue with Select clip Forward

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 2:40 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:@John ALT+1 doesn't do anything for me, but that wouldn't help either in my case, since I need to move over a bunch of title cards so I don't want the A1 to be selected. Just the stuff that's on the video track.
But as Andy pointed out in his Resolve 15 bug report, it's the content of the source viewer that determines the 'current

In that case, just de-select A1 -- click it. Note also that (if it's not obvious to you) V1 and A1 are relative. The destination tracks always become V1/A1, no matter where they are. Selecting V6 (alt-6) turns it V1 for as long as it's the target/destination track. And as I tried to point out, the content of the source viewer doesn't matter, if you use keyboard shortcuts to select tracks (where clicking won't).

Anyway, it works here.

Sander de Regt

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 3:13 pm

That doesn't change the fact that the ability to select tracks while editing shouldn't be dependent on what is showing in the source viewer. If you're not working in Dual Viewer Mode you couldn't even figure it out, because technically you wouldn't have anything in the non-existent Source Viewer.

It also doesn't mention this as a prerequisite in the manual, so to me (and Andy) it still qualifies as a bug.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Andy Mees

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 3:38 pm

John Paines wrote:Anyway, it works here.

Doesn't work here for me John... testing again at the moment on my Mac... if the contents of the Source Viewer is an audio only clip, no amount of selecting a video track is working, either by keyboard shortcut or otherwise. Strange that it works for you.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

John Paines

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 3:44 pm

I'm Windows, but who knows. Anyone else?

Andy Mees

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 4:29 pm

So I just tested on my Windows box... John's find is kind of correct (Mac and Windows), but sadly seems to be a bug in and of itself ... using a keyboard shortcut to select a video destination track when the Source Viewer contains an 'audio only' clip does work, but, as far as I can tell, only if one happens to have added the 'audio only' clip via the Source Viewer's recently used clips menu, and will stop working if the Source Viewer is otherwise activated at any point in the meantime ... basically, loading clips into the Viewer via the recently used menu doesn't deactivate the destination patch controls (although it actually should), but if the clip was loaded by any other method then it does... it's an anomaly. The converse is also true with 'video only' clips and activating audio track destination controls.

John Paines

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 5:48 pm

I gather the logic is, when the source viewer with an audio-only clip is active, the video destination track is de-selected.... Probably not a good idea, as this thread attests, and unclear what the benefits are.

When I add audio files to source viewer from the media pool, the shortcut works. Didn't try source drop-down menu.

RalphBrown

Re: Issue with Select clip Forward

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 7:44 pm

OMG!!! This is really a bizarre design. V17.4.6
What I'm trying to do is select an audio clip and all the audio clips forward in just that track (audio track 2). As has been mentioned the behavior depends on what's selected in the Media panel and which track has the A1 designation.
In all these cases, after the media panel selection and A1 setting shown before the colon I selected the clip on audio track 2 and then hit Y.
a) Timeline selected, A1 on audio 1: All clips in V1 and A1 to right of cursor selected, V2 clip deselected.
b) Timeline selected, A1 on audio 2: All clips in V1, A1 and A2 to right of cursor selected.
c) Video/Audio selected, A1 on audio 1: All clips in V1 and A1 to right of cursor selected, V2 clip deselected.
d) Video/Audio selected, A1 on audio 2: All clips in V1, A1 and A2 to right of cursor selected.
e) Audio selected (not the clip I'm selecting in the timeline) A1 on audio 1: All clips in V1 and A1 to right of cursor selected, audio 2 clip deselected.
f) Audio selected (not the clip I'm selecting in the timeline) A1 on audio 2: All clips in V2 to right of cursor selected. (Expected behavior)
Apparently the only way to select all audio clips to the right in the same track is to have an audio clip selected in the media panel. However, if you do, then the select clips to the right in the same track doesn't work for video clips. What's really nasty is that it does select other clips which may well be scrolled off the screen, so be careful.
Dell Precision, Windows 10 Pro auto update, Intel i7-10700K, 64 GB, AMD Radeon VII, Bluetooth Soundcore Q20 headphones, 1 TB SSD, 16 TB hard drives.
Davinci Resolve Studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve