Waves DTS Neural Upmix

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alexander Gietz

Waves DTS Neural Upmix

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 5:19 pm

Hello again,

I already read several posts about problems with Wave-Plugins. My problem is quite peculiar though ...

I use Bus1 as 5.1 and put the Waves DTS Neural Upmix (Stereo->5.1) in the chain. Works perfectly when listening to the output.

But ... when I nest this timeline with the 5.1 upmix into another timeline I do get the video but an empty 6-channel audiofile with absolutely no sound.

Anybody an idea why?

Rajiv Mudgal

Re: Waves DTS Neural Upmix

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 7:24 pm

How exactly are you nesting! Are you rendering out 5.1 or... !
Upmix is only to be done as a final resolve when you don't have access to any stems but only a final stereo mix.
Its Bus centric and may not work as you intend it to.
But if you have stereo or mono stems, such as Dialogue, Foley Sfx, and Music, it is best to do a 5.1 mix as Upmix will always lack depth.
I have the complete Broadcast and Surround Suite and I have gotten better results by using Surround Reverb such as Stratus3D reverb.
Even the native Surround reverb built into resolve should give you a decent result.

another trick is to use delay to decorrelate and spread front and rear, the same way you use it to spread mono to stereo, you can also do it for surround.

The basic Rule Of Thumb is...
Dialogue: 100% Center Channel
Foley: 100% Front L/R (panned to phantom center)
Explosions, earthquake, truck rumbles, whiplashes and other Hard hitting Effects: 100% Front L/R + 50% LFE
Music: 70% Front L/R, 30% Sides/Rear

Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 12.51.33 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 12.51.33 AM.png (598.47 KiB) Viewed 589 times
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8500260/

Alexander Gietz

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 7:41 pm

Hi Rajiv,

thx for your input.

I am not rendering at all ... just dragging the 5.1. Upmix-Timeline into another timeline from which I want to cut my 1 minute teaser of the program. Works well when the Waves-DTS-Neural is off the chain, but as soon as I put it in ... total quietness.

I know all the 5.1 layouts you write about, but since I am quite a lazy person, I was using the DTS-Neural for a few years already and am satisfied with the results. Even if I render out the 5.1 output and bring it back into the new timeline everything works out. But since this is an extra step of work, I wonder why it is not working directly inside of Resolve. Workarounds are not my thing, I like direct solutions.

Regards
Alex

Rajiv Mudgal

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 8:54 pm

The plugin converts stereo to 5.1 live and has to be active in the channel strip to work.
Don't know nesting clips fulfils that criteria. also nesting is a very video centric workflow, in audio you have Groups, VCA, aux and sub-busses etc. which do the same.
Just a suggestion, why don't you work live on the timeline that you intend to cut your final mix, why nest and jump timelines.
Why additional steps when you can edit direct.
just curious.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8500260/

Return to DaVinci Resolve