Nested Timelines Don't Render Properly!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ILikesCaviar

Nested Timelines Don't Render Properly!

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 5:25 pm

Like most people, I've experienced a ton of bugs using Resolve, but I just encountered a bug that will delay my delivery by almost an entire day. I have 1 nested timeline in the timeline I want to render. The nested timeline has fusion effects/animations and a lot of cuts in it. The final result rendered with half the animations not working and a bunch of skipped frames 10 seconds into the nested timeline. Now I have to re-render the entire project and run it through a H264 encoder that actually works (Resolve's encoder creates audio and visual artifacts). I can't even decompose the timeline in place because it breaks some of the media-in nodes in the fusion animations (more bugs I think). I would have to manually reset all the hold frames and media in nodes inside the fusion compositions to do it this way.

Here is a small list of bugs that I constantly have to encounter while using resolve:
  • The h264 encoder creates audio and visual artifacts. The visual artifacts look like "stuck" sections of the screen that are blocky and "stick" on the screen for a couple of seconds. The audio artifacts are really bad. They sound like when you play unnatural PCM like throwing random bits into the stream or connecting one wave form that is in a trough directly to a waveform that starts at a peak. Its a loud snap/pop sound that will randomly occur throughout the video.)
  • If you have a fusion composition on the edit page and zoom in or displace it enough in the transform section of the inspector resolve will crash (possibly poor memory management)
  • Adding a picture as a media-in node in fusion presets the opportunity to accidentally touch the "trim" options in the node's inspector window. There is no need to adjust these values, but if you do the 1 frame goes to MAX INT and the software will bug out. Trying to play the video will really bug out resolve as it will not play anything. Then if you try to disconnect the media in node resolve will stall like thread is hanging but will not crash. Controls will be unresponsive and the UI layout will be very laggy.
  • Doing pretty much anything in the spline editor in the fusion page will crash resolve eventually.
There's much more of course but this is just a small list off the top of my head. What gives? I paid $300 for this software and it can't even render the timeline properly.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Nested Timelines Don't Render Properly!

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 1:03 am

What gives? I paid $300 for this software and it can't even render the timeline properly.

that is a fraction of what the competitors charge.

Nested timelines tend to be buggy, I will not expect to work always flawless especially with loths of weird codecs (h264) and effects.

tryt o work without nesting if possible.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

ILikesCaviar

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 5:01 am

waltervolpatto wrote:
What gives? I paid $300 for this software and it can't even render the timeline properly.

that is a fraction of what the competitors charge.

Nested timelines tend to be buggy, I will not expect to work always flawless especially with loths of weird codecs (h264) and effects.

tryt o work without nesting if possible.

I'm not saying the price is bad, although taking a look at the competition there are big name alternatives at the same price point. It's just that, this is something that should work. My rational is also an obvious work around, I'll post it for posterity and because I can verify that it worked for me.

If decomposing the timeline in place is giving you grief then use the "render in place" feature for the video and use the decompose in place feature for the audio. Every time you change the timeline you are going to have to repeat the steps so I would switch back to the buggy nested timeline for editing. When you go to do your final export/render, manually render the nested timeline beforehand as above. It should be obvious that since this manual method works there is very little excuse for the export function to not work. Essentially it could just do the same thing re-using the same functionality that is exposed to the user via the GUI. Even if that it not the optimal way to do it overall it's better to have a temporary solution working then to have people find out that is didn't work post render (if they do).

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 3:30 pm

are you using h264 for editing? because that is a distribution codec that create lots of issues....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve