What happens to Color nodes w/ making fusion clip?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Blazso

What happens to Color nodes w/ making fusion clip?

PostSun Jan 16, 2022 10:25 pm

Hey all,

Lets say I have a clip on my edit page, I go and color-grade it, great.

Now just before final print goes out the AD decides the clip needs some stabilization from the edit page and a quick touch up in fusion to address some other minor issues.

So you make a fusion clip from it, with the stabilization from the edit page on because that's the one the AD liked.

So the question now is, what happens to the color nodes that were graded previously in the color tab? Are they deleted, are they stored somewhere? can you open up a fusion clip to see what was 'baked' into it?

bryantocara

Re: What happens to Color nodes w/ making fusion clip?

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 2:32 am

Edit Page Stabilization is essentially the same as tracking data from the tracker panel in the Color Page. If you ever switch from local to remote, or vice versa, and you lose stabilization, that's why (it's part of the grade). Basically, one of the versions didn't have the same stabilization applied.

And essentially, everything in the Fusion Page you can consider as one big node BEFORE entering the Color Page node tree. Nothing happens to your color information (your grade is still intact in the Color Page—and if you saved a still, can always be recovered any way), and nothing is baked into that clip from the Fusion Page (which can be verified when you hit Shift-D to bypass effects (if you right-click bypass, you can choose whether to bypass only Fusion effects). This is of course assuming that you are not using render-in-places (which you can still revert "to original" in the timeline by-the-way).

When you work in Fusion, just ignore whatever color you see in the monitor, it won't be the same when you get back to the Color Page. If for some reason you have to add a color corrector node, use it only to match whatever is being composited to the image around it (treat it like a "relative grade" instead of an actual color grade. Also, bear in mind, (and I might be wrong about this, so do a test to confirm...) if you are not stabilizing your clip in Fusion, the stabilization stays OUTSIDE of Fusion, so you won't be working on a stabilized clip inside Fusion, and the video signal only gets the stabilization re-applied back to it once it leaves the MediaOut node and back into the timeline.

Sent from my motorola razr using Tapatalk

Return to DaVinci Resolve