[Waves Plugins] Abbey Road Chambers VST Loads as Instrument

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Slaayde

[Waves Plugins] Abbey Road Chambers VST Loads as Instrument

PostMon Jan 17, 2022 10:05 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has been successful in using the Waves - Abbey Road Chambers Reverb VST in Resolve 17 Fairlight?

When adding this plugin to a track... First, the plugin loads as an Instrument In the "INPUT" block at the top of the track, although it was added in as VST Effect from Effect block. It goes to the input.

Secondly, assume it would be treated as an instrument/Input in Resolve... If that were the case there should be a way to patch inputs and outputs (lets say input from from another track) but that's no the case either.

Any thoughts on this issue?

What I've tried:
1. Created a SEND from a single, MONO audio track.
2 Create a new Stereo bus from "Bus Format" Window, called it SEND1
2. Created a Stereo AUX channel (ie; reverb)
3. Patch Stereo AUX to MAIN OUT
4 Patch Audio Track to Send1 Bus
5. Patch Send1 BUS to both LR Inputs of AUX Chanel
6. DISABLE Audio Track output to MAIN BUS
7. Set Send1 from Audio Track to ON & PRE and drop FADER to INF
8. SET Send1 Level to -5db
9. Confirm Audio to AUX Channel fader via Send1
10. Add Abbey Road "Plates" reverb to Effects chain on AUX Channel
11. Verify Reverb active from AUX Channel.. All OK.
12. Disable "Plates" Plugin and ADD "Abbey Road Chambers"...
13. No Audio through Chambers VST.

Thanx
XEON x5670 Hex Core
nVidia RTX 3060 ti 8G

Reynaud Venter

Re: [Waves Plugins] Abbey Road Chambers VST Loads as Instrum

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 5:47 am

Which plugin format is installed? VST2.4 or VST3?

Is the most current version installed? Please check v13.0.0.129 in VST3 format.

Are any other plugins exhibiting this behaviour?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Slaayde

PostTue Jan 18, 2022 8:08 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:Which plugin format is installed? VST2.4 or VST3?

Is the most current version installed? Please check v13.0.0.129 in VST3 format.

Are any other plugins exhibiting this behaviour?

Hi Reynaud,

So what is loading in to Resolve currently is Chambers VST v2.4, Waves license indicates Waves V10. I also have Waves V9, V10 & V12 on my system... But Abbey Road Chambers is V10.... and Abbey Road Plates is V9.2 VST, and works fine. It's kinda weird that in Resolve, Chambers is the only PI that is reporting a version in the Plugin Name field.

As a side note, SSL, API, EMI, NLS and ADT Collections (Waves V9.2.0 & 10 VST) are also working great in Resolve, from what I've tested so far. AR Chambers is the only plugin that I've found so far that has this issue. and no problem with Izotope tools so far.

Most post work is done in Pro Tools 11HD Native . After upgrading Waves to V10 (AAX, VST & VST3) and Waves Horizon to V12, I discovered (from Waves Tech Support) that some plugins wouldn't work in PT 11HD and some would... some wouldn't work on Win 7, only Win 10 (nice!) or PT v12 and forward. So I created a Win 10 Pro Drive, with PT 11HD (which shouldn't be either) & Resolve 17... and all is working great, except for Chambers. I've never seen a Signal processing Plug-in load as an instrument??

Currently, the plugins I've tested, so far in Resolve work fine (V9, V10 VST). When you raised the version issue... its a real sore spot... with Waves, forcing PT DAW upgrades to subscriptions or your versioning support stops.

What might be your suggestion for further testing?
Should I eliminate all VST paths and only load VST3 and see what I get?
Resolve can't only support VST3 right?? Everything else so far is working fine.

If I can't use it then I guess I can't. From my experience, its a processor hog anyway. It does sound great tho!

Best

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 6:01 am

Slaayde wrote:Should I eliminate all VST paths and only load VST3 and see what I get?
Confirm that the VST3 version is loading correctly as an insert.

VST3 provides broader functionality and greater customisation for the plugin developer as compared with VST2.4 such as exposing a default category to the host (in this case Fx|Reverb).
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Return to DaVinci Resolve