Change Filenames for selected clips used in timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sir Hannes

Change Filenames for selected clips used in timeline

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 11:37 am

Hi,

I have to change filenames on my HD, which are already used in my timeline. How to tell DaVinci, that the files are all in the same folder structure, just have some added letters at the end?

Hint: "Reconform from Media Storage" does not its job. (Error or choosing 1 clip for all) I tried multiple options, including working via single bin and "Reconform from Bins". Coudln't find information in the PDF nor on youtube or forum, yet.

Thank you
fighting-against-deadline- Johannes :)

DaVinci15

PS: this post is kind of addendum on my question here viewtopic.php?f=21&t=153742&p=819246#p819246
M1 MacBookPro 16", OSX Monterey, DaVinci 18.1.4 Build 9

Andy Mees

Re: Change Filenames for selected clips used in timeline

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 1:39 pm

Johannes
If you are fighting a deadline / in a hurry etc etc then you might want to consider adapting your workflow such that you don't keep renaming your source file versions and causing yourself relink headaches. ;) , if you just put the identically named but updated versions into their own separate and appropriately name directories ie 'Originals', 'Upscale_x2', 'Upscale_x20' etc., then you'll likely find it much easier to update your source paths more reliably, so you can meet your current deadline.
Once you've delivered you could then maybe revisit the issue with a little more freedom, time wise, to explore what will and won't work for you.
Just a thought.
Andy
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Sir Hannes

Re: Change Filenames for selected clips used in timeline

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 9:25 pm

Thanks Andy for your kind words, I appreciate.

My workaround in those cases: accept the error - then accept the im-perfection and go ahead.

I met my deadline and happy about the result. I am not so happy about similar filenames in different folders. :D

Best
Johannes
M1 MacBookPro 16", OSX Monterey, DaVinci 18.1.4 Build 9

Return to DaVinci Resolve