Resolve suddenly running really slow

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jimhughs

Resolve suddenly running really slow

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 1:11 pm

Hi,

Any ideas on how to fix this - Resolve suddenly running really slow.

Never had an issue before, running on a powerful ish gaming laptop with 10th gen hex core i7, gtx nvidia geforce 2060, 16gb, etc etc

Version studio 17.4.3 build 10

Only things I've changed recently are. In project manager, I created a few folders in a database and moved a few projects ( folders titled things like "complete" " for delete" etc)

In the present project, I set a large number of clips to Render cache fusion output "on". I have since however set the entire project back to "Auto" in case this was causing issues.

I've scanned my pc with a performance benchmark gizmo and it scores as expected.

I've downloaded nvidia's latest drivers.

Task manager shows an as expected amount of CPU, GPU and ram load by the app.

I've just deleted ( after having the issues ) the render cache files for all old or not-presently-working on projects.

What am I missing?

jimhughs

Re: Resolve suddenly running really slow

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 5:37 pm

I think I've solved it!

I had one more go yesterday to try and get it working.

I replicated everything I did, Including plugging in my SpeedEditor with the USB c cable - and hey presto, the lagging went and performance was normal.

In the windows 11 Bluetooth settings I had a look and the speed editor was listed but appeared to be saying "paired - connected - paired - connected ......" so I think the Bluetooth drivers for the speededitor on Windows 11 might be a problem. I think resolve was giving itself a "denial of service attack" by being totally preoccupied with trying to talk to the speed editor over Bluetooth.

So speededitor plugged in via USB c cable and no attempts to communicate via Bluetooth, it frees up resolve to work!

I then removed the speed editor from my PC Bluetooth devices and scanned to re-connect but win 11 Bluetooth won't find it. So I'll leave it like that.

Blackmagic Support tried to help me a bit with this but did repeat over and over that Windows 11 isn't supported, so they didn't really comment on the plausibility of the speededitor Bluetooth theory.

Cheers

Return to DaVinci Resolve