Complete Resolve Studio 17.4.3 Uninstall - Please help!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ted Amenta

Complete Resolve Studio 17.4.3 Uninstall - Please help!

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 2:37 pm

Resolve Studio 17.4.3 was working fine with the Speed Editor for me last week.

I think that Windows 10 had an update over the weekend. I've also allowed updates for Resolve and the Speed Editor to occur recently. Whatever the cause, Resolve stopped recogonizing the Speed Editor and started locking up when I tried to use it.

Having read other threads here about Speed Editor issues, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Resolve several times in the last few days. I've now done another complete uninstall, including deleting the Blackmagic folders and files left in the C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) folders after running the uninstall. I have not uninstalled any Microsoft Visual C++ files yet and have multiple versions of them for 2008 (3), 2010 (2), 2013 (5), and 2015-2022 (2) and I'm wondering if I should uninstall any or all of these, but don't want to mess up any other programs by doing so.

When trying to reinstall Resolve the last few days, I've been unable to get Controll Pannels to install and reading threads here about this is what now has me looking at the C++ files.

I'd like for the Speed Editor to work, but I can do without it. But I really need Resolve working reliably ASAP.

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Andy Mees

Re: Complete Resolve Studio 17.4.3 Uninstall - Please help!

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 5:49 pm

Hi Ted.

Do you happen to have a working clone of your system, from before the recent update that you suspect might have caused the issues? It's highly recommended practice, especially when working on critical systems. Reverting to a clone might be the fastest and most reliable way of fully restoring a system to a known good 'clean' state, especially if it's on a spare SSD that you can simply swap out!

If you don't have a system clone, then before you go postal on your existing install, you might want to look to see if you have a recent System Restore point that predates the issue instead. If so, you could consider using that to roll back to the previous system state (but do be aware that a System Restore might potentially result in needing to uninstall and reinstall any applications that were updated in the interim... for example, I had to uninstall and then reinstall the latest Adobe CC apps after rolling back to a System Restore point that predated my manually updating them).

Maybe I'm overcautious, but I'm always a little wary of messing with Windows systems, despite an eternity of using them... probably why I always like to have that working clone as a safety net. That said, as long as your databases etc are all backed up then the worse case scenario is only the mundanity of a full system and applications reinstall. If that's where you end up tho', do yourself a favour... once you've got your full clean system up and running, your apps installed, and everything humming along like it should, make that clone!

Cheers
Andy
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Ted Amenta

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 6:16 pm

Thanks Andy! Food for thought. But I have already uninstalled Resolve again and deleted the c:\program files folders manually. I'm just wondering if before installing again (I've been through this about 5 times since Sunday) if I should also uninstall one or all of the C++ apps, or if there is something else I should try.

Andy Mees

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 9:15 pm

Well, different apps are built against and rely on different versions of the Visual C++ runtime libraries, which is how come you end up with so many versions installed... you can't just 'keep the latest version' and assume that everything will be alright. With that in mind, I'm not sure I'd advise a pot-luck uninstallation strategy. Conversely, as long as you have the installers for all your other apps and services, then I dare say if and when one of those apps starts throwing error messages about missing dll's or some such, you could just go ahead and uninstall / reinstall that app, which should restore the missing/needed runtime.

If it were me though, given you've clearly spent a few days on it already, I'd be cloning my system as is at this point, over-night if necessary, before continuing... then whatever happens along the way as I try my restore strategy, whether a minor blip or an unintended catastrophe, I can always revert back to how things are now... which is especially useful when some bright spark comes along with some "Incredibly Simple Fix" the day after I've given up and completely hosed my system! ;)

But look, I'm sounding like a broken record now, so I'll shut up.
Good luck, hope you can get it sorted.
Andy
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Return to DaVinci Resolve