Recorded audio is silence - USB mic on MacOS

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jonscheiding

Recorded audio is silence - USB mic on MacOS

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 3:51 pm

I'm trying to record audio in DaVinci Resolve, and it's not working when I use my USB mic.

I've followed the instructions available in many places:
  1. Preferences -> Video and Audio I/O -> select Input device
  2. Fairlight tab
  3. Mixer -> Input -> patch audio input to track input
  4. Track -> arm for recording
  5. Record
When I select my Macbook's built-in microphone as the input device, this works as expected. However, when I select my external USB microphone, no audio is recorded. An audio item is created on the timeline, but it's silent - the waveform is flat.

Specs:
  • MacBook: Pro 16" Intel A2141
  • macOS: Big Sur 11.6.2
  • DaVinci Resolve: 17.4.3 build 10
  • Mic: Audio-Technica AT2005USB
My best guess as to the reason is that the USB mic produces 16-bit audio. I've seen a few message board posts suggesting that DaVinci Resolve can't deal with this, and that the audio needs to be 24-bit, but I don't have any other external audio device that I can use to validate that. Can anybody confirm, and possibly suggest a workaround? (I'm aware I can record in some other software and then bring in the audio - I've been doing that and it works fine but is very annoying.)
I was able to try this with another audio device that produces 32-bit audio and I had the same problem. It appears that I can only actually get sound when I'm using the built-in microphone.

Thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve