Can anyone solve this problem?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

2-SharR

Can anyone solve this problem?

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 6:31 pm

Hello everyone,

Is anyone able to solve this issue? I have attached a photo that shows what I need to do.

Right now I am in Fusion and selected the "Text over shape lower third".
My goal is to make the whole text over shape lower third to be 150 pixels from the bottom.
Then I need to have the upper and lower bar in a certain size 80p and 50p.
I also need the fonts to be in size 53 and 32 (I guess that is also in points)

In fusion I can only see the values of the keyframes which are 0.5 or any number that I cannot understand very well.

I am new to this so easy language would be preferred :)

How would you solve this?

Thank you in advance,
2-SharR :D
Attachments
size question.jpg
size question.jpg (67.88 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Last edited by 2-SharR on Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Mees

Re: Can anyone solve this problem?

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 9:07 pm

Oooof... short answer, I would solve it by not using a prebuilt effect that's really not designed to be manipulated that way.

Build your own template with separate elements for shapes and text. Be aware that Fusion is resolution independent so it's not easily used for pixel referenced design, instead its frame referenced... 0,0 is bottom left regardless of your frame size, and 1,1 is top right. Get a calculator out to figure out your frame referenced dimensions based on the fraction that they are of your frame size. Use the Reference Size 'Auto Resolution' mode in the Merge and Transform nodes to access absolute pixel dimensions where helpful.

Or more simply, just build a pixel perfect reference image in a pixel based image application like Photoshop and then use that as an underlay / guide to manually recreate what you need in Fusion.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

2-SharR

Re: Can anyone solve this problem?

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 11:26 am

Thank you Andy,

With your help I solved the issue. What I did is this:

1. I made a "mold" for the upper (red)bar in photoshop using points and adding the text with the right point size.
2. Did the same for the lower (white)bar
3. Put those bars together and made it 150 px away from below.
4. Then using the whole thing as a mold to put it in Fusion and then manually edited the sizes of the animation until it fitted perfectly.

So for the eye it looks the same, probably not mathematically the same but I think this will do for a hobby project :)!

Thank you very much.

Return to DaVinci Resolve