Free version versus GPU

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ralph Thielen

Free version versus GPU

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 10:50 pm

Hello Guru's!
First I'm a complete newbee and just want to grow a little into video editing.

I have the free version of Davinci Resolve and it works perfectly fine when just cutting, some standard transitions and add some music.
But now I watched some tutorials about the colors and how to do some things with it.
Thing is my program gives me BSOD after I go into the color tab, put some nodes and try to fiddle with these nodes (white balance, saturation, etc), yes BSOD every time... Also with just one clip in the whole project.

I did some reading about how and why, and my guess after these readings was that my gpu is not really suitable... it is a AMD Radeon(TM) RX Vega 11 Graphics (I believe not even a card)
So I looking for a better card and found this one ASUS GeForce GTX 1650 DUAL 4GB

But (now the big question), will this card solve my little problems? Since I understand that Davinci Resolve does not support hardware with the free version.

Some other info from my pc,
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM-momory 16,0 GB (14,9 GB available)
Type system 64-bits operating-system, x64-processor

Kind regards and thanks in advance for reading and maybe even an answer :)

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Free version versus GPU

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 12:27 am

Resolve always uses the GPU for image processing. In every version, free and Studio.
You may be confused with the h.264/265 decoding and encoding in hardware on the GPU card and thats only with Studio with some GPUs...

that said, you don't mention your specific GPU model... here is a comparison site to use so you can pick a better GPU... id recommend something 2 years old or newer.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/N ... 0vsm401440

Even the RTX3060ti listed here is getting old now.

in the meantime, if could be your current GPU is ok for you needs and just needs the correct GPU driver
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Ralph Thielen

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 9:23 am

Thanks for your time and input Peter!

I take a look at the benchmark website you suggested and also downloaded the benchmark program.
My pc seems to perform pretty well, but the gpu is very poor. (Can't link to the results)

About the drivers that I use, they are from Windows itself..
When I started with Davinci Resolve, my pc crashed sometimes and some actions took very long to calculate (particels etc).
So I updated the drivers with original from AMD (that also gave me some sort of control panel where I could choose what quality etc).
But when I installed that "drivers program" I could not start Davinci Resolve anymore, I forgot what error it showed exactly, but it was something like "NO GPU ....", but there was no GPU to choose in Davinci.
So I went back with the original windows drivers, and voila, Davinci resolve was working again.

If I understand correctly, a better GPU at least gives me faster results in Davinci Resolve, were I was thinking that the GPU was no extra value in the free version (no hardware support).
Thanks for clearing that out!

Against better knowing, I will not go for the 2 years old GPU, to high price for my use ;)

Thanks again for the help (and the super nice video editor!! )

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 6:06 pm

Ralph

A BSOD or computer shutdown could potentially be due to an issue in hardware (e.g overheating) or drivers.

Once you've had a chance to check the hardware side, perform a Windows backup, and try a clean install of the drivers. Links:
General FAQ on Drivers
Download AMD drivers
Uninstalling AMD drivers using DDU

Regards
Shrinivas

ZRGARDNE

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 2:49 pm

I had a 4gb GTX 1650 in my laptop. It was painful with resolve. 4k is impossible. Even 1080p would some times crap the bed.

I would recommend anyone looking to buy a new card do 6gb as a minimum if at all possible.

Return to DaVinci Resolve