Canon RAW Light workflow on Resolve 17.4.2

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bwalker28277

Canon RAW Light workflow on Resolve 17.4.2

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 11:42 pm

After watching BM Introduction to Color (Part 1) and Advanced Color (Part 2) I have a question which was not directly addressed by the trainer in the video - By the way, I thought the woman who was doing the training was excellent!

Part 1 goes into detail using the Primaries Color Wheels - All understood - Part 2 gets into RAW files and HDR Color Wheels - My Canon C200B shoots Canon Raw Light 12-bit - I am assuming if I'm working with those files I would ignore the Primaries Color Wheels and use the Primaries LOG Wheels instead in order to start the balance process - From there, again I'm assuming, I would go to the HDR Color Wheels to finish the clip off - My question is this: Am I correct in thinking I would ignore the Primaries Color Wheels as they are aimed primarily at SD files? I would then stick with the RAW/HDR-related tools exclusively? The woman never stated to ignore the Primaries Color Wheels although she did not use them as part of the RAW file training segment.

A second related question: If I'm working with the above files and I let Resolve handle the color management (RCM) am I correct in assuming I would still use the workflow as stated above - RCM does a pretty reasonable job and you just might be able to ignore the HDR workflow in some instances should you choose to go that route.
Billy Walker
Charlotte, NC

ZRGARDNE

Re: Canon RAW Light workflow on Resolve 17.4.2

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 3:43 pm

bwalker28277 wrote: By the way, I thought the woman who was doing the training was excellent!

Daria Fissoun, Yes. She has done lots of content on YT, hopefully she continues to do collaborations. She teaches the 4 day Zoom color class, I recommend it for everyone.

bwalker28277 wrote:
I am assuming if I'm working with those files I would ignore the Primaries Color Wheels and use the Primaries LOG Wheels instead in order to start the balance process

You can use either. You will find lots of 'old timers' who prefer the log wheels as that was all they had back in the day. I personally do 95% with the Primaries wheels. They are 'linear' and will probably give a more intuitive result to newbies.

bwalker28277 wrote:
- From there, again I'm assuming, I would go to the HDR Color Wheels to finish the clip off - My question is this: Am I correct in thinking I would ignore the Primaries Color Wheels as they are aimed primarily at SD files?

I think BM made a poor choice in calling these 6 wheels 'HDR' as they are great tools for non-HDR. I use them all the time to tweak clouds . I would say they are a fine tweak adjustment tool, there lift/gamma/gain wheels are better to get the base grade.

bwalker28277 wrote:
A second related question: If I'm working with the above files and I let Resolve handle the color management (RCM) am I correct in assuming I would still use the workflow as stated above - RCM does a pretty reasonable job and you just might be able to ignore the HDR workflow in some instances should you choose to go that route.

Resolve confusing because it behaves different for Raw vs Non-Raw files. Raw files always have color space transforms happening in the Raw tab. Even if you don't use RCM. And they should 'Just work' if the camera meta-data tells resolve what to do correctly.

Non-Raw files, Resolve has no way to know the color space of the file. So you have to tell it a bunch to get it going.

Regardless, once you get the file into Davinchi Wide Gamut, it should work the same for you where it came from your fancy studio camera or a Gopro.

ZRGARDNE

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 3:46 pm

I have a Canon R5, it shoots Canon Raw Light as well. ISO support is broken in Resolve

Support ticket raised #ATZ-866-38412.

Not sure if it works right for your camera or not. If it is broken, please raise a ticket as well, as wine was specific to the r5

See here to know what to look for;

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=147742&hilit=+iso+raw

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 2:08 am

Please provide a link to a sample file where the ISO setting is not working.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

ZRGARDNE

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 4:22 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Please provide a link to a sample file where the ISO setting is not working.

IMG_5690.CRM is the r5 Raw Light. 1.31gb
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tbq2c8fj5wrnj ... 0.CRM?dl=0

Both have same problem;

Is there any way to check the status of my ticket? No one asked for sample clips since I raised it months ago, so I assumed it was a known problem.

V17.3.1 Build 5 today.

Camera is on V1.5 firmware now. Was on V1.3 when raised ticket.

Again for clarity, I am using a Canon R5. Not heard anyone say if the OP's camera, c200, has the same bug in Resolve or not.

At least two R5's do have this issue though;
youtube.com/watch?v=kYGePMKIUY0

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 6:44 pm

You need to select Decode Quality - Full Res Canon

That will use the full Canon SDK and give you access to all the controls.
Dwaine Maggart

ZRGARDNE

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 11:41 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:You need to select Decode Quality - Full Res Canon

That will use the full Canon SDK and give you access to all the controls.

yes, that is broken

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 11:57 pm

I'll see your bad screen shot and raise you my good screen shot:

canon_r5_iso.png
canon_r5_iso.png (35.08 KiB) Viewed 2385 times

Please send a Resolve log.
Dwaine Maggart

ZRGARDNE

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 6:43 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I'll see your bad screen shot and raise you my good screen shot:

Please send a Resolve log.

Thank you for your response,
Log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjerqkv1cr059 ... O.zip?dl=0

I added the DPR as well, not sure if you needed that. Or if it is included in error log.

To be clear, my screen shot is fine. Your correct response is "I am sorry, not seeing this same behavior on my machine, please submit a log and we will work to correct the bug."

And as I said, and showed in my initial bug report, ISO shows up some times and some times it does not.

#ATZ-866-38412.

roger.magnusson

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 7:03 pm

For what it's worth, I can only see the issue using your project. If I create a new project it works as expected. I'm on a newer version though, 17.4.3, I see you're on 17.3.1.

Using your project, I can fix it by clicking Reset in the three dots menu under Camera Raw, but maybe that only works in the newer version.

ZRGARDNE

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 8:54 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:For what it's worth, I can only see the issue using your project. If I create a new project it works as expected. I'm on a newer version though, 17.4.3, I see you're on 17.3.1.

Using your project, I can fix it by clicking Reset in the three dots menu under Camera Raw, but maybe that only works in the newer version.

I don't recall any of the release notes from BM saying this was addressed from 17.3.1 till now, so i have never updated. 17.4 was obviously so broken, I was planning to just avoid the whole chain until 17.5 got out and tested.

I submitted my ticket when 17.3.1 was newest, so I would expect BM would notify me if they did make a fix in later versions, even if it was excluded from the release notes.

roger.magnusson

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 9:22 pm

Well it could even be an inadvertent fix. Resolve uses so many third party components that are sometimes updated, including Qt for the UI which made a big version jump in Resolve recently. Even the Canon Raw component could have been updated for all we know.

Return to DaVinci Resolve