User interface responds painfully laggy on edit page

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

robozb

User interface responds painfully laggy on edit page

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 1:02 am

Especially at timeline operations!
Resolve version: 17.4.3 build: 10

i7-8700K,
48 GB DDR4,
GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB,
Win10: 21H2 - 19044.1415
NVidia: 27.21.14.5751 (2020.11.22)

Igor Riđanović

Re: User interface responds painfully laggy on edit page

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 7:15 am

Are you using PSQL database or disc database?
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

robozb

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 2:52 pm

Igor Riđanović wrote:Are you using PSQL database or disc database?

I guess I use disk database. Is the PSQL faster?

robozb

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 3:09 pm

I did many things: vga driver upgrade, Resolve downgrade, upgrade, many other things,
but It seems only one thing helped, moving the project(export, import) to another ssd disk database.
I don't know the differents between those, because both of them are ssd.

Igor Riđanović

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 10:19 pm

The database network latency can slow down the UI responsiveness in the edit page The reason I was asking if you're using PSQL DB is because if the server is not running on the localhost you may pick up some network latency on the way to and back from the server.

If the server is running on the localhost or you're using the Disc DB this should not be an issue, but I suppose that with some massively underperforming local drive you could see a similar latency and the slowdown of the UI.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

robozb

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 7:27 am

Igor Riđanović wrote:The database network latency can slow down the UI responsiveness in the edit page The reason I was asking if you're using PSQL DB is because if the server is not running on the localhost you may pick up some network latency on the way to and back from the server.

If the server is running on the localhost or you're using the Disc DB this should not be an issue, but I suppose that with some massively underperforming local drive you could see a similar latency and the slowdown of the UI.

Dear Igor, Thank you for your lot of infos! Now It seems good by copying the project tod another disk db. I don't understand why :) Bye: Beci

UserNoah

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 7:30 am

I’ve had issues as well. When auto save was on then resolve would take a second after each action. (Making a cut, creating a label etc) until it would become responsive again. My databases are already on an internal sdd but it turned out to be the database size. Starting a project in a new database I noticed that I could turn on auto save again without having these issues. I originally had a database per year. But now I have a database per project.
Kinda defeats the purpose of databases but it’s necessary.

But is there any way of renaming the databases on disk? Currently they are all named “Disk Database” when I check them in the file browser.

robozb

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 8:47 am

Dear Noah!

Thanks for the infos!

Regard: Bela

panos_mts

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 12:17 pm

UserNoah wrote:I’ve had issues as well. When auto save was on then resolve would take a second after each action. (Making a cut, creating a label etc) until it would become responsive again. My databases are already on an internal sdd but it turned out to be the database size. Starting a project in a new database I noticed that I could turn on auto save again without having these issues. I originally had a database per year. But now I have a database per project.
Kinda defeats the purpose of databases but it’s necessary.
If you are using folders in your database, make sure to give a unique name to each project otherwise if you create a new project and give it a name of a complex project that already exists somewhere in the database, you will have a laggy UI.

I opened a bug report a half year ago but it has not been fixed yet.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=144343
If anyone else has a big disk database and can replicate the bug above, please post a confirmation so there are more chances to be noticed by the developers.

UserNoah

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 12:26 pm

I’m not using any folders in my databases so I assume this might not be the issue in my case but thank you regardless. Good to know in case I start using folders!

Return to DaVinci Resolve