MacMini M1 and reference monitor

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ramis

MacMini M1 and reference monitor

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 10:13 am

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a mac mini m1 while waiting for the new Macpro to be released... I would like to use my Intensity pro 4K PCI card, and since for obvious reasons I can't install this cared to the mac mini.. could I use an external PCI cage and connect it via thunderbolt ? I know that there are other solutions like the Ultra Studio 3G ( not ideal , only 1080 output) or the more expensive Ultrastudio 4K mini...but honestly, I do not want to waste a lot of money in a solution that I might not need ( who knows) when the new mac pros are out...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Andy Mees

Re: MAC MINI M1 AND REFERENCE MONITOE

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 11:15 am

Yes, a Decklink card in an expansion chassis like this should work, though I've no first hand experience of using it.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

ramis

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 3:04 pm

Thanks Andy!

But would it work on a M! mac? I know external graphics cards do not work with M1...

Andy Mees

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 8:04 pm

In their compatibility grid they note support for M1 MacBook Pro (Late 2021) and M1 MacBook Pro (Late 2020)... they don't expressly mention the M1 Mac Mini though but that may be an oversight. You'd probably want to talk to their support people for clarification.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 11:09 pm

Yes, that should work with the M1 Mac Mini with the card in a TB3 PCIe expansion chassis.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Defjux83

Re: MacMini M1 and reference monitor

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 6:47 am

It works. I’m running a decklink 4k with a M1 MacBook and thunderbolt 4 pci enclosure.

ramis

Re: MacMini M1 and reference monitor

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 7:38 am

Ok,

Thanks everybody !

I will go for this option then ,

Thanks again....

Return to DaVinci Resolve