Resolve 17.4.3 keep crashing MacBook Pro

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

xencinas

Resolve 17.4.3 keep crashing MacBook Pro

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 12:03 pm

Hi everyone,

Today it has been the first day my MacBook Pro kept crashing when rendering always around 25%. I can the fan going up then bam. All black. I used to export directly on an external hard drive, switched to local, but same issue.

I have a MacBook Pro 2015 2.2ghz 6-core Intel Core i7 with 16gb memory.
I run on Catalina 10.15.7

I have been using Resolve for more than a year now and never had any issue (always export same type of files).

Wondering where the problem is and if there is a fix.

Thank you so much!
Xavier

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 17.4.3 keep crashing MacBook Pro

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 12:08 am

If you hear the fan ramping up before the issue, it sounds like an overheating issue. Rendering with Resolve makes the CPU and GPU work at their hardest and get the hottest.

A 2015 MBP might not have the most pristine cooling ability, i.e. air flow may be impacted by accumulated crud.

You could try limiting the Resolve render speed, which will prevent things from getting as hot.

On the Deliver page, select the File tab. You'll see a Render speed setting, and it will be set to Maximum. Try setting it to 10 and see if that helps.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Uli Plank

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 2:27 am

All those older Intel MacBooks are working around (and above) their thermal limits with demanding software like DR, even if the fans are at full power. Check the temperature with TG Pro. I second Dwaine's advice, plus you may even need to clean it up from the inside.
The new Apple laptops are completely different beasts, running cooler than any other laptop.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

xencinas

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 7:57 am

Thanks guys! I’ll try that.
Xavier

Return to DaVinci Resolve