Using FPE LUT for on-set monitoring

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

RamiCh

Using FPE LUT for on-set monitoring

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 1:42 am

Hi! I wanted to know if it's viable to use one of the Resolve FPE LUTs for on-set monitoring.

So, let's assume i go inside Resolve and i make 2 nodes, in the first one i use a CST with Panasonic V-Gamut and V-log (assuming i'm shooting on a gh5) as my inputs and 709 and Cineon as color space and gamma outputs. Then, in the second node, i apply Kodak 2383 D60 (for example) LUT and export that correction (the 2 nodes) as a LUT, would that work on a monitor as intended?
I think what I doubt the most is whether you can use a LUT (FPE in this case) to create a LUT.
I don't have a camera or monitor to try it, but i was just curious.

Thank you.

shebbe

Re: Using FPE LUT for on-set monitoring

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 11:27 am

You can pretty much use any tool in Resolve including LUTs that aren't manipulating the image in a spatial or temporal way (glow, motion blur, grain etc).

So yes it would work. Just keep in mind that monitoring through a look should only serve as look reference not as guide for judging color and exposure.
You'll also want to make sure that the look doesn't affect the brightness of middle gray for that camera.

Usually for camera/monitor LUTs you need to save a 33 or 17 cube. Depending how crazy you make it the lut might not be an exact 1:1 with what you had in Resolve but usually differences are light.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

RamiCh

Re: Using FPE LUT for on-set monitoring

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 10:09 pm

shebbe wrote:You can pretty much use any tool in Resolve including LUTs that aren't manipulating the image in a spatial or temporal way (glow, motion blur, grain etc).

So yes it would work. Just keep in mind that monitoring through a look should only serve as look reference not as guide for judging color and exposure.
You'll also want to make sure that the look doesn't affect the brightness of middle gray for that camera.

Usually for camera/monitor LUTs you need to save a 33 or 17 cube. Depending how crazy you make it the lut might not be an exact 1:1 with what you had in Resolve but usually differences are light.

Great! I found this document very useful as a guide to exposing mid gray to the proper IRE (42 in the case of VLog):https://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/dvx4k/pdf/ag-dvx200_tech_brief_vol6_en.pdf

Luckily I have recorded a grayscale using the Panasonic GH5 in Vlog so I adjusted the LUT to make sure the brightness of the middle gray is not altered. Anyway, as you recommended, I will not use the LUT to judge the exposure, but simply to have an approximate of the look.

Thank you very much!

Return to DaVinci Resolve