Resolution Confusion

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

2ocProductions

Resolution Confusion

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 7:50 am

I have a 1920 x 1080 project.
I have some 4K footage.
My input scaling preference is set to "Centre cut no resizing"

I place the 4k footage on my HD timeline and I can scale out to get the full 4K image... or I can leave it as it is and pan around if I like. Either way I can utilise the full frame of the shot.

If I select the same 4K shot in my media pool and make a timeline from it with 4K resolution settings and then bring that timeline in to my HD timeline, I just get a centre cut image to work with and not the full frame of the shot as I do above.
Why is this?... when the dimensions for the timeline with the 4k shot in it say it's 4K in the media pool?
this is also the same if I create a 4K compound clip... that won't work either.

I was sure I could do this previously as at times I used to cut 4k shots together, create a nest and then do my moves etc in a HD timeline... or am I dreaming

I tried to work around it with fusion, and that's another thing... I was sure I could drag compound clips from the fusion media pool into fusion... you can but only if the compound clips resolution is the same as resolves project resolution.
Resolve Studio 18.6.1
Apple M1 Ultra
On Ventura 13.5.2
Memory: 64 GB
I/O Black Magic UltraStudio Express - Driver 12

Mario Kalogjera

Re: Resolution Confusion

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 11:42 am

Probably because you have set center crop with no resizing in your project setting ;) Every time you nest, the project settings are used. You need to manually set resizing for the nested clip to scale entire image to fit.
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

2ocProductions

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 10:38 pm

Sorry Mario, I'm aware of the various settings and how they work, scaling an entire image to fit and then nesting reduces the resolution of that nest to HD (you will see this in the metadata), so if you want to scale up and pan around you are just scaling a HD res shot, so all goes soft for obvious reasons.
When I have larger resolutions to work with than my project settings(HD).... I like to know when I am scaling past the original resolution. With your suggestion you cannot, this is why I use centre crop no resizing as the inspector scaling will always have a value of 1 for the original resolution.
Like I mentioned previously... I manually created a new timeline (In effect creating a 4K nest) with the 4K files and its metadata stated it has a 4K resolution.
Why does that not do the same as a 4K single shot?
Sure , there are work arounds... you can do all in fusion or you can render out a video file of a compiled 4K timeline and then work with that.
Really wish nesting could manage this.
Resolve Studio 18.6.1
Apple M1 Ultra
On Ventura 13.5.2
Memory: 64 GB
I/O Black Magic UltraStudio Express - Driver 12

Mario Kalogjera

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 10:33 am

So you want the 4K timeline nested into an HD timeline to still be 1:1 i.e cropped with image to timeline pixel-to-pixel mapping so that you can reframe it and resize it without loss? I see now that something's wrong, when I scale down in HD timeline, the image is cropped with black padding all around. I'm almost certain it worked before...nested timelines used to "punch through"
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

Ryan Bloomer

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 5:26 pm

I've been dealing with this as well.... add Fusions resolution into the mix just keeps causing issues.

I've resorted to rendering intermediate files when needing this flexibility. All of the tools are there to do it without intermediate files, but it appears there's a bug in how it's handling the scaling internally.

Return to DaVinci Resolve