Recording commentary in resolve to a clip.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MarvinBarre

Recording commentary in resolve to a clip.

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 2:20 pm

Hello, I am trying to figure out the most efficient way to record a voice-over to a documentary.

I have a 20min clip that I would like to record a voice over to .
While the movie clip is playing I would like to comment on it and sometimes I would need to pause the clip and keep talking over it.

I know you can record to a clip in fairlight but the problem in fairlight is this that you can't freeze frame because your recording track stop too.

How would you approach this ?
I guess it would be easy if you could record audio in edit page.
Thank you for your help.

Daz Wood

Re: Recording commentary in resolve to a clip.

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 7:00 pm

MarvinBarre wrote:Hello, I am trying to figure out the most efficient way to record a voice-over to a documentary.

I have a 20min clip that I would like to record a voice over to .
While the movie clip is playing I would like to comment on it and sometimes I would need to pause the clip and keep talking over it.

I know you can record to a clip in fairlight but the problem in fairlight is this that you can't freeze frame because your recording track stop too.

How would you approach this ?
I guess it would be easy if you could record audio in edit page.
Thank you for your help.

What I would do is record it using Fairlight and when you come to the part you want to freeze frame let the clip keep playing and carry on talking until you are ready to move on. When you are ready to move on, wind back to where you want to carry on from and record the next voiceover on a new track, first muting the first part.

If you already know where these freeze frames are going to be, you could edit these in first and leave a longer freeze frame in case the voiceover needs more room as its easy to shorten it later.
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

MarvinBarre

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 6:29 am

Thanks, That would technically but I hope there is a way to do it without constantly switching between edit and fairlight.

Premiere has a mic in edit line. I looked at other editing software and they have in edit page.
I found one that cost like $80 life time. I might just buy it but I can't believe there isn't a simpler way

Daz Wood

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 10:12 am

MarvinBarre wrote:Thanks, That would technically but I hope there is a way to do it without constantly switching between edit and fairlight.

Premiere has a mic in edit line. I looked at other editing software and they have in edit page.
I found one that cost like $80 life time. I might just buy it but I can't believe there isn't a simpler way

The way I describe above how I would do it will all be done in the fairlight page for recording so no switching back and forth at this stage. You only need the edit page afterwards to carry on editing.
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

MarvinBarre

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 2:45 pm

I see . That might just work . Thank you .

Return to DaVinci Resolve