Find clip references?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nikolas Saratsis

Find clip references?

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 10:45 am

Is there a function to reveal all references of a clip within a project, i.e. a list of all timelines a clip has been used in?

Nikolas Saratsis

Re: Find clip references?

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 11:39 am

I'm not familiar with the habits on this forum. Does no response mean that such a function does not exist?

Uli Plank

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 12:12 pm

No. Only that none of the folks who read your post has ever been looking for it.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Nikolas Saratsis

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 1:48 pm

Thank you for your response.

I think, the wish to find clip references in more complex projects isn't that uncommon, so I'll wait hoping that somebody who knows passes by to share their wisdom.

MLanghausen

Find clip references?

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 2:19 pm

Right Click on a clip in the Media Pool
If a clip is used in a timeline, "Usage" will appear in the context menu - this will show which timeline(s) the clip has been used in.

If you select the timeline from this list - it will take you to the clip in that timeline.
ASUS Prime X299 - Deluxe II
Intel Core i9 7980XE
80 GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA 3090Ti - Studio Driver
Intensity Pro 4k
Window 11 Pro

Resolve Studio 18.1.3 Build 8
Fusion Studio 17.3

Nikolas Saratsis

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 3:21 pm

I was sure that there is something. I see 'Usage' now in the context menu, simple and straight forward.

Thanks a lot for the valuable information.

Andy Mees

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 5:18 pm

If you right click a clip in the Media Pool it will display a Usage submenu listing all timecodes where it is used in the currently active timeline only ... note that if it's not used in the active timeline then it won't display the Usage submenu option, and if it is used then it won't list timecodes for other timelines in the project.

Conversely, if you switch the Media Pool to List View you can enable the 'Usage' column heading... that column displays a count for the total number of times a clip has been used in the entire project... but it doesn't list where in the project those uses occur.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Nikolas Saratsis

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 5:39 pm

Thank you very much for this information.

Let me describe my current problem: I imported a bunch of timelines via AAF. I need to know in which timelines of the current project a certain clip has been used at least once, so I can check those timelines one by one. I'd like to avoid opening all existing timelines, but open just those with the clip, if possible.

What would be your suggestion to do that most efficiently?

Andy Mees

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 6:25 pm

Nikolas Saratsis wrote:I'd like to avoid opening all existing timelines, but open just those with the clip, if possible.

I don't think that's possible.
If it were me, I'd start by opening all the timelines so there is a separate timeline tab for each one.
I'd select the first tab and then open the Edit Index panel and search for the specific clip name.
If it's used in the selected sequence it will be displayed in the Index.
I'd then step through each timeline tab in turn to reveal in the Index whether the clip is used in each.

It's not ideal, but it would be relatively quick.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Nikolas Saratsis

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 6:43 pm

Thanks. Tabs, that's what I will use.

Wouldn't that be a nice feature for a smart bin, i.e. select one or more clips and then, let it make a smart bin containing all timelines which use at least one of those clips? Ok, that isn't how it works, but how it could work. :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve