Missing end frames when importing into timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cyberx

Missing end frames when importing into timeline

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 12:15 pm

I have a short video of 24 fps but when I import it into my timeline for Youtube settings, the few minutes at the end seem to have disappeared.

How to solve this problem so that all the frames are imported?

Nikolas Saratsis

Re: Missing end frames when importing into timeline

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 12:19 pm

Hello,

Guess that's a frame rate issue. Mediainfo could be helpful. Do you know how to create and post it?

cyberx

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 12:59 pm

Nikolas Saratsis wrote:Hello,

Guess that's a frame rate issue. Mediainfo could be helpful. Do you know how to create and post it?

Sorry, what is Mediainfo?

Nikolas Saratsis

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 1:21 pm

It's free software to show basic technical data of media files. It doesn't work with proprietary RAW formats (BRAW, R3D and such) or image sequences, but with almost anything else (decodable by FFmpeg).

Don't say that it will reveal the problem, but there's a chance.

To post it, Download Mediainfo from here https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo and install it.
Open the media file with Mediainfo and switch to the text view (View>>Text).
Mark all (Ctrl+A), then copy (Ctrl+C) & paste (Ctr+V) the text from Mediainfo to your response.

cyberx

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 3:49 pm

Nikolas Saratsis wrote:It's free software to show basic technical data of media files. It doesn't work with proprietary RAW formats (BRAW, R3D and such) or image sequences, but with almost anything else (decodable by FFmpeg).

Thanks but Mediainfo revealed it is an MP4 file. Here is the screenshot

Song.png
Song.png (373.28 KiB) Viewed 2819 times

cyberx

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 3:56 pm

When I played the video on Google or any media player, it shows the whole video but when I import it into Davince, around 2 seconds of endings were lost.

Nikolas Saratsis

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 10:03 pm

Although some parts of the mediainfo are missing (audio and the header), what I'm looking for is there. The frame rateis detected as constant 24 fps and the video stream seems to be written with the x264 library. I never had problems with this kind of footage with Resolve. However, mediainfo doesn't scaan the stream for validity and different decoders react differently on damaged data streams. Beside of that regular media players cannot be used as reference for the decoder of Resolve (or any other commercial NLE and grading software). Not saying that the stream is damaged, but it can't be excluded either.

What I would try if I had the problem is converting the clip with Handbrake from MP4 to MP4. Use the preset Production>>Standard, import the resulting clip, don't set in/out marks, create a timeline and see what happens.

cyberx

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 12:46 am

Nikolas Saratsis wrote:
What I would try if I had the problem is converting the clip with Handbrake from MP4 to MP4. Use the preset Production>>Standard, import the resulting clip, don't set in/out marks, create a timeline and see what happens.

This is the audio part.

Song 1.png
Song 1.png (373.45 KiB) Viewed 2742 times

Sorry, what is Handbrake?

Nikolas Saratsis

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 2:34 am

Handbrake is a well established free video converter, specialized on conversion to h.264/h.265 for several purposes. You can download it here: https://handbrake.fr/
Not many of its the presets create well editable formats, but 'Production>>Standard' should be fine for the given task.

If you prefer converting to common I-frame based intermediate formats, e.g. ProRes or DNxHR, with low compression, high quality and high performance, but comparably large files sizes, I'd suggest using Shutter Encoder, but I think that isn't necessary regarding your video format.

cyberx

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 6:26 am

Nikolas Saratsis wrote:Handbrake is a well established free video converter, specialized on conversion to h.264/h.265 for several purposes. You can download it here: https://handbrake.fr/
Not many of its the presets create well editable formats, but 'Production>>Standard' should be fine for the given task.

If you prefer converting to common I-frame based intermediate formats, e.g. ProRes or DNxHR, with low compression, high quality and high performance, but comparably large files sizes, I'd suggest using Shutter Encoder, but I think that isn't necessary regarding your video format.

I managed to install Handbrake and created a new mp4 file with the settings below but it still gave me the same weird problem when I import into Davinci. What is happening?

Song-End shot.png
Song-End shot.png (412.18 KiB) Viewed 2686 times

Nikolas Saratsis

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 7:50 am

Don't know what's happening, but from your screenshot it's obvious that you didn't use the preset I recommended.

Anyway, could you share the original unconverted clip? If you can, I'll see what can be done with hands on the media.

cyberx

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 9:10 am

Nikolas Saratsis wrote:Don't know what's happening, but from your screenshot it's obvious that you didn't use the preset I recommended.

Anyway, could you share the original unconverted clip? If you can, I'll see what can be done with hands on the media.

I chose the preset standard like you said but anyway, here's the Youtube video.
Last edited by cyberx on Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uli Plank

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 9:57 am

YouTube converts. He was asking for the original clip.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Nikolas Saratsis

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 12:18 pm

cyberx wrote:I chose the preset standard like you said but anyway, here's the Youtube video.

I said preset 'Production>>Standard' your screenshot shows the preset 'Fast 1080p30'.

Anyway, this is the point:

Uli Plank wrote:YouTube converts. He was asking for the original clip.

Would you mind sharing the original unconverted clip, not uploaded to any streaming service? To do that, zip the clip and attach it with your response here.

bryantocara

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 12:35 pm

Could be a wild guess, but maybe he had unknowingly set an in or out point in the source viewer before dragging it into the media pool?

Same thing happened to me when I first started using Resolve, then I quickly discovered that was a way to make a sub clip, and if I wanted the whole clip (after dragging into media pool), I needed to clear the in and outs

Sent from my motorola razr using Tapatalk

Uli Plank

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 1:05 pm

A clip is normally too large to attach, but a transfer service would be OK. So, not YT, but DropBox, Google Drive or the like.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Nikolas Saratsis

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 2:03 pm

bryantocara wrote:maybe he had unknowingly set an in or out point in the source viewer before dragging it into the media pool?
That's indeed the simplest explanation. However, setting marks needs deliberate action and I was afraid to ask, because it's too obvious.

Uli Plank wrote:A clip is normally too large to attach, but a transfer service would be OK. So, not YT, but DropBox, Google Drive or the like.

The mediainfo of the tiny clip in question shows a file size of 3.9 MB, so I suspected the forum software can stand it as attachment.

Nikolas Saratsis

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 2:12 pm

cyberx wrote:I have a short video of 24 fps but when I import it into my timeline for Youtube settings, the few minutes at the end seem to have disappeared.

Still assuming that this a serious discussion about a real problem, would you mind clarifying one thing, which confuses me? Can you explain how a few minutes at the end of a clip can be missing with a clip of about 19 seconds duration, as shown in the mediainfo you've shared above?

cyberx

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 5:09 pm

Nikolas Saratsis wrote:
cyberx wrote:I have a short video of 24 fps but when I import it into my timeline for Youtube settings, the few minutes at the end seem to have disappeared.

Still assuming that this a serious discussion about a real problem, would you mind clarifying one thing, which confuses me? Can you explain how a few minutes at the end of a clip can be missing with a clip of about 19 seconds duration, as shown in the mediainfo you've shared above?

Sorry, I didn't really count but it is a few seconds instead of a few minutes.

I am using part of the song from that video A into a new video B that I am creating.

There is no in-out time marker mistake because I can see the video part but not hear the ending part of the audio part from video A which seems to be cut off ....

I deleted the video part of video A and replaced with my own visuals in video B.

I imported many times (thinking I made some mistake somewhere) but the problem is still there.

I used Winzip to compress the MP4 file but the file is still too large at 3.2 MB. Do you have an email address which I can send to?

cyberx

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 5:16 pm

bryantocara wrote:Could be a wild guess, but maybe he had unknowingly set an in or out point in the source viewer before dragging it into the media pool?

Same thing happened to me when I first started using Resolve, then I quickly discovered that was a way to make a sub clip, and if I wanted the whole clip (after dragging into media pool), I needed to clear the in and outs

Sent from my motorola razr using Tapatalk

If I set the in or out point by accident, the video part won't be shown too. But it showed the video part of video B.

I deleted the video part of video A and replace with my own images. I am using the audio part of video A but need the missing audio (a few seconds at the end)

Nikolas Saratsis

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 6:26 pm

cyberx wrote:I used Winzip to compress the MP4 file but the file is still too large at 3.2 MB. Do you have an email address which I can send to?
I could send you a file request to my personal cloud storage to upload the file, but if you agree, I'd suggest using wetransfer and posting the download link here, so more people can have a look.

https://wetransfer.com/

Wetransfer is free up to 2GB file per upload, you don't need to register with them, nor an e-mail address. Use the circle with three dots down left on the panel to open the settings and switch to 'Get transfer link', prior to starting the upload.

Since this doesn't look to me like a camera recoded file, do you know how it's been created/converted?

cyberx

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 1:50 am

Nikolas Saratsis wrote:

Since this doesn't look to me like a camera recoded file, do you know how it's been created/converted?

I uploaded to my Google Cloud storage which is easier to use. The original video was not created by me so I don't know anything about it.

Here is the link,

delete

1. Download the video to your local hard disk from the link
2. Play the video locally using your windows media player to listen to the original video
3. Import the video into Davinci
4. Play the video using Davinci and you will notice some missing frames at the end
5. When you render to a new video using Davinci using this original video , the rendered file will be shorter by a few seconds. Listen to the audio part and not image part.

Follow the exact steps above to notice the weird problem.

Thanks for your help
Last edited by cyberx on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nikolas Saratsis

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 10:23 am

Thanks for the sample.

This is critical footage. The video and the audio stream have significantly different durations, which is supported by the MP4 standard, but very uncommon. Have a look at the mediainfo you've posted above, it shows it. Different decoders react obviously differently on that. The player of Google Drive shows and plays the video duration of 15 seconds, same as Resolve (00:00:15:14), whereas WMP, MPC-HC, VLC (and my main NLE), show the audio duration of 19 seconds (00:00:19:17).

Personally, if possible, I would stay away from this kind of critical media. Perhaps, you can find other sources? The only straight forward workaround I found, so far, is splitting audio and video to import them separately with valid duration and merge them in the timeline. You can downloadthe split clips here to see how it works for you.

https://we.tl/t-N8sMCDRVi2

It might be possible to merge both with FFmpeg while padding the video somehow to full audio duration, but is it worth the effort?

cyberx

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 12:32 pm

Nikolas Saratsis wrote:Thanks for the sample.

This is critical footage. The video and the audio stream have significantly different durations, which is supported by the MP4 standard, but very uncommon. Have a look at the mediainfo you've posted above, it shows it. Different decoders react obviously differently on that. The player of Google Drive shows and plays the video duration of 15 seconds, same as Resolve (00:00:15:14), whereas WMP, MPC-HC, VLC (and my main NLE), show the audio duration of 19 seconds (00:00:19:17).

The only straight forward workaround I found, so far, is splitting audio and video to import them separately with valid duration and merge them in the timeline.

When I use Google Chrome to view the original MP4 video, there were also no frames missing at the end.

Thank you for helping me solve this problem which I have been trying to solve for several days now.

What I did was extract out the audio into a separate WAV file (by using another extractor software) and then import the WAV file into Davinci.

Davinci managed to import the whole WAV file without any frames missing. I only need the audio part anyway bcos I have my own images.

This is a really weird problem that Davinci software development team need to look at and I believe it is actually a special case that Davinci didn't take into consideration.

Nikolas Saratsis

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 1:33 pm

Good to hear that you could fix the issue with a little help. However, I'm not convinced that it's a mainstream problem with high urgency to be fixed. Converting not well supported media or media unsuitable for video editing/grading prior to import, is a commonly used approach to stay away from trouble.

Saying this I don't mean that this particular issue shouldn't be fixed, but that I think, it might take a while.

Have a nice day.

Return to DaVinci Resolve